ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Text behind shot video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Garza
3D Text behind shot video
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:46:25 pm

I'm not sure if this should be in AE or a 3d program. But I want to know if anybody knows how you place 3D text into a scene that keeps the perspective of the video as used in movie trailers you see on TV. You know when a movie is out and they show reviews of the movie that says, "Intense",Thriller", etc. and the words are placed behind the actor or something? I'm an experienced AE user and a very basic C4D user. I can export comps from C4D for use in AE. Thanks for your help.
Geno Garza

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3D Text behind shot video
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:02:03 pm

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that:
  • The text looks like it's actually part of the scene, moving as the camera moves, shadows falling on the text photorealistically, lit from the same angle, etc.?
  • One of the movie characters walks in front of the text?
  • A combination of the above two?
  • Something else?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eugene Garza
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:13:23 pm

Hi and thank you. We're shooting our anchor in the studio or in the field. And I'm going to place text behind him. So he actually won't be walking through the text. But there may be a camera pan or crane shot and I want the text to look like it's in the scene and keeping the same perspective as the scene with lights, shadows, etc. Fortunately, we're planning on shooting this and it's not some existing shot that we're trying to work with. I see you work for an ABC affiliate. So do I. KVUE Austin. Thanks for your response.
Geno Garza
http://www.kvue.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:37:36 pm

You'll need 3D Matchmove software to create camera position data for the 3D application.

Logging the lighting plot will help, too... so will moving something like a plain, featureless box through the shot before you start shooting with talent. You can use it for reference for shadows, hot spots, etc.

Be EXTREMELY careful to watch each take! If you use a jib, they're not always the most stabile camera platforms on the planet. You might get some unintended flexing in the boom, bouncing at the end of a move, etc.

A motion control rig is out of the question, I'd guess. It sure is for us, and KCRG's in market 80-something.

I tend to ignore market size -- a couple dozen families can move into town and POOF! You went up a notch in size.

Well, I hope this stuff helps, good luck with your shoot, and remember to Keep Austin Weird.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
And One Other Thing...
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:46:56 pm

I almost forgot: write down the focal length on the lens when you lay down the shot. I'm not completely sure you'll need it, but hey: if it helps get the 3D right the first time, it's worth it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Eugene Garza
Re: And One Other Thing...
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:13:02 pm

Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I need to get SynthEyes or something. Don't think I can just do this in AE and C4d. I'll check. Thanks.
Geno Garza

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]