ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto MartinezIs this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:25:08 pm

Hi, for a music video that I'm shooting this upcoming weekend I want to have the main singer punch the into the open air towards the camera as if he were trying to break through the screen...
What I want is similar to what was done in the Jizz in my pants video at 8 seconds into it when Andy Samberg punches the air...but mine would be more surreal...

is this a simple scaling effect? or something else?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:36:41 pm

It's PROFESSIONAL CINEMATOGRAPHY, that's what. It's planning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:11:38 pm

It could probably be faked with the technique you've already mentioned.

Dave's right though, unless you're after a way to fake it

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:56:16 pm

I agree that careful planning before shooting will greatly help, but going through the video frame by frame, it really does look like a post effect, especially since it is repeated so often throughout the piece and in the story segments as well.

In the stage scenes, it looks like the image is scaled up until the hits, which then zoom out for a frame or two before going back. The story scenes appear to zoom in for the most part. And I know the "I'm On a Boat" video was shot Red, these may have been as well. So they may have had plenty of resolution to play with. These effects also seem to have subtle motion blur, which helps sell it.

SIDENOTE: Dave, I have a lot of respect for you and you help a great number of people on this site through your generous donation of time & knowledge. However, it seems like lately your 'answers' consist of "You should have done it right," with an air of "leave it to the pros." To me, it does little to aide those coming here just looking for a little help. Take this very thread for example…

Again, I mean no disrespect, just an observation.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:17:35 pm

Okay, then YOU can explain to the guy some of the ins and outs of such a video. Here's a partial list: the need to shoot on a set, why they use pro-grade cameras, the need for lighting plots, the camera rigging involved, the multiple takes, on-set audio playback and lip sync, the need to watch continuity, etc.

Go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:24:50 pm

Dave,

Sorry you're aggravated, but he didn't ask how to shoot a music video. Roberto asked how to accomplish one simple effect, and even did so before the actual shoot.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:36:42 pm

Whoa!

We don't even know if this is a production video, something for a highschool/college project (which you can take noticeable shortcuts) or something just for fun (even more shortcuts) !!

All information is pertinent. Professional and not. At least until we find out the scope of the project. If it turns out this is for a client and he's getting paid for it, well then by all means the straight and narrow, using obvious shortcuts would be a last resort.. but until then, there's no reason to let tempers flare up.

For someone like me (not getting any $ off anything) a simple position snap w/ motion blur would be more than plenty.. if I was going to get paid for the shot, then yeah, I'd be extremely worried about pre not just post.. :S

Some of us actually come on here to relax and get away from the arguments at home (don't ask.. I find learning something fun relaxing and enlightening, it's kind of an escape from the slew of medical issues haunting me as of late)..

Dave, I've been lurking around here for a few years, your opinion is held in very high regard as far as I'm concerned and I've learned loads from you and your experiences and advice; You do however seem to be tightly wound up the last few days :( I hope you can find a little time to relax and feel better..

Return to posts index

Roberto MartinezRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:12:28 pm

Hey, shoot is for a friend but I'm taking it as serious as if it were for a client. It's to promote his new record coming out in December.

PS. Dave, I respect your opinion as well. But, I didn't ask for advice on any of the other stuff. I just wanted to know if that was a specific effect/plug-in I had not thought about and couldn't figure out how to google it properly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:15:36 pm

Good luck w/ it, let us know if you need any help with anything else.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Roberto MartinezRe: Is this a simple scaling in/out done in post or something else?
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 9:53:08 pm

I have one more question.
What's the effect on this liquid? It happens around 1:55.

I'm pretty sure its a noise filter applied to the liquid but I can't find one that one that will be as colorful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]