ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing train tracks with audio waveform

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon ParryReplacing train tracks with audio waveform
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 12:27:20 pm

Hello all,
I have some drivers eye view footage of a train running down the tracks, and I want to replace the train tracks with the audio waveform of the soundtrack. My first thought was to use motion tracking plus a 3d camera but on trying to implement this my head exploded and I got nowhere because my track points disappear out of the bottom of the frame as the footage moves forward. Could someone please point me towards any relevant tutorials, as the ones on motion tracking I have watched dont cover this.
Thanks to Creative Cow for an awesome set of tutorials on other subjects, they have taught me loads in the two weeks that I have been giving myself a crash course in After Effects and I would have been lost without them.
I am using After Effects 6.5pro for this project.
Thankyou for your time....Simon

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: Replacing train tracks with audio waveform
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:59:55 pm

Given what you're attempting and that 3D tracking is highly complicated, I'd suggest a low tech approach.

If you use the CC Simple Wire Removal tool set quite high you could blur out the train tracks, then over the top of where they were you'd be able to place your own. Seeing as everything is moving quite fast and the new tracks are bouncing around the place in time to the music, you might be able to get away with something quite convincing.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

Simon ParryRe: Replacing train tracks with audio waveform
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:07:22 pm

Hi Graham,
Highly complicated is a bit of an understatement in my world at the moment, but I guess I brought on myself with this project :) Thanks for the suggestion though, I wouldn't have thought of trying that approach. Loving the puppet on Youtube btw.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Replacing train tracks with audio waveform
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:13:23 pm

Motion Tracking will nail your audio layer to the motion of the train camera but it will not handle the perspective simulation. That's corner pinning or more serious 3D work.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Replacing train tracks with audio waveform
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:42:57 pm

Depending on the motion and tracking issues in the video, you may find that compositing the audio wave form on the train tracks can be accomplished using a 3D grid layer as a reference.

Andrew Kramer has a tutorial that employs the technique, albeit on a still image. http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_shadows/

Nonetheless, keyframing a camera to retain perspective might be possible in the scenario you describe.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:03:16 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for pointing me to that tutorial there were some useful tips in there. I sometimes wish I had Andrew Kramer's brain...he makes it all look so easy.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:59:05 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for the corner pinning tip, this sounds like a plan, I could use this to pin the audio waveform to the tracks where they disappear out of the bottom of the shot and then I would only have to worry about tracking the train tracks where they wobble about in the distance. However I manage to do it I am pretty much resigned to the fact that there will be a lot of manual keyframe placing :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]