ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

collapsing/falling text on page

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John O´Hagancollapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:43:05 am

Hi all

I´ve got a tricky one for you guys. I´m trying to acheive the following, but animated of course http://blog.dimmdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/1227805192vjewj24.jpg

I´ve tried to do this using particular and pre-composing the text with an animated character offset, but I cant get it to work on a plane.

Any ideas?
Your help would be much appreciated, as I´m struggeling with this one!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:26:49 pm

Well, for starters, I see a whole BUNCH of wireframe animation in a 3D application. Here's a list of stuff right off the top of my head:
  • There's the book, and presumably, it moves. It's sitting on a guy's stomach, and you can't exactly tell the guy to stop breathing, right? He may even turn the page -- he probably does, in fact.
  • There's the guy AND the clothes he's wearing. As the guy breathes and moves, the wrinkles in that shirt will move with him, so you have to match that up in 3D.
  • Do these letters that fall off the book have any physical properties, like weight or mass? Do they bounce off the folds in the shirt, landing Lord Knows Where? That means you'll have to deform the shirt a little bit to really sell it.

Somebody else will chime in with more steps in the process, I bet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:53:25 am

Ive DONE this look before, i gotta search for it. I had the page of a magazine 'build' on with all the individual letters flying off. I used one of the animation presets. I typed all the copy on using AE's text tool and a preset. animate in by letter or one similar to that. Then tweaked it and used multiple instances as well...

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

John O´HaganRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:53:46 pm

Hi Scott

When you did this, were you able to get the individual letters to interact with each other? Also I want the letters to drop from the top of the page and collect at the bottom, not fall off like the picture suggests, is this what you acheived?

Thanks for the help

Kind Regards
John

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 9:51:07 pm

No, John, I did not. The preset did not allow for that. My effect was
a shot pretty far away with a ton of letters flying on. My guess, and this is above my level of expertise,is that some kind of a script could be written to do this. It seems to me to do it in true 3d using dynamics would be an immense amount of work to set up. Personally, that kind of a look can be very dramatic and stunning. If I were to attempt it with the control your looking for I would HAND ANIMATE about 100 - 200 of the letters myself. I HAVE done that as well, (about 70 letters)
and it looked great, just took me a day to do it. You could also do a mix of this effect with the preset AND hand animated letters mixed within it. A particle system like particular MAY be able to do something
in the ballpark of what you want, but your options may be limited with it. I would do it by hand myself, it would take me longer, but id have total control of the motion. If I had a lot of these to do. I would experiment with Particular to see if it could be automated someway.

sorry I dont have a really easy answer for you.... good luck, id like to see what you come up with.

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Hamlet HayrapetyanRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 2, 2012 at 11:51:45 am

hi. what animation presets u are used ?

Return to posts index

John O´HaganRe: collapsing/falling text on page
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:47:25 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for your quick responce. To answer your questions, I dont want to exactly do what is in the picture, it's merely a refenece. What I will be producing will be
  • close up shots of the pages.

• I wont be embeding it in footage, it will be cut with footage.

• having the letters only to collect at the bottom of the page, not fall off.

• Although I would like them to interact with each other as they collect at the bottom

• I want he letters to always be facing the viewer.

• again, thank you very much for you responce!

Kind Regards
    John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]