ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Streaking Light Effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke BellisStreaking Light Effect.
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:48:49 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm shooting a music video this weekend and would like to create an effect in After Effects that replicates the blue streaks across the screen in this video:

(excuse the choice in video)

I have a couple of ideas of how I would go about it, but wanted to see if anyone had any better ones!

Cheers,

Luke.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Streaking Light Effect.
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:06:51 pm

if you're talking about that line that comes in every now and then?

take a solid (pick a color)
change the transfer mode to add

make a rectangle (or whatever shape you prefer) mask. Make sure the x axis goes off the comp (stretches out so the edges are solid) so basically
[comp]
[=========]
[comp]
feather the edges

move it to wherever you like by animating (or not) the position

changing the thickness of the mask will make the line thicker or thinner.

Have fun :)

It'd be nice if you posted the finished result when you're.. well finished haha

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Streaking Light Effect.
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:12:25 pm

Those effects do look quite organic / optical so it could be they've done them with a light into a real camera.

To recreate something similar digitally you'd probably be able to work with a series of masks, different colors, amount of feather and transfermode. A problem with AE in regards to masks is that they have the same feather around the entire shape which in the case of these flares you want something more dynamic.

You might want to look into something like Knoll Light Factor also, given the above effect could be done fully manually I think.

I wouldn't disregard looking into shooting lights and trying to create the above effect either. Sometimes real-life beats trying to re-create it.

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Streaking Light Effect.
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:19:05 pm

LOL.. Erik...

"To recreate something similar digitally you'd probably be able to work with a series of masks, different colors, amount of feather and transfermode."

Sounds like my post above.. just worded slightly differently.. i gave him detailed instructions on how to do exactly that..

As for your other statement..

"A problem with AE in regards to masks is that they have the same feather around the entire shape which in the case of these flares you want something more dynamic. "

Not entirely true.. you can unlock x from y, and ontop of that you can size up the masks off frame so you get only 1 side feathered. It's quite doable. I gave him instructions on doing that as well..

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]