ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Nested Proxies / Cursor Flicker & Broken Refresh

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Walker
Nested Proxies / Cursor Flicker & Broken Refresh
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:28:46 pm

OK, have a pretty complex project used as the master file for a tradeshow event. Essentially though it's just several comps put in sequence in one master comp. I was going to speed up the final render by rendering proxies of some frequently used items.

Problem: After rendering a proxy for a comp, and enabling the proxy checkbox, the cursor starts rapidly flickering, and no video is drawn if the timeline playhead is on the proxy item in the master comp. However, as soon as I uncheck the proxy, frame drawing works fine and cursor is normal. Can repeat this on and off weirdness however often I want, but AE does not EVER render even a single frame from the proxy item to the viewer. I'm stumped. Have tried different comps, same behavior.

Comp is 2560x720(for 2 side by side screens), 29.97, CS4. Proxy was set to Animation codec, no alpha, no sound, full res and stored on internal raid 0 array. Anybody encountered this or have I overlooked something basic?

Robert

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Nested Proxies / Cursor Flicker & Broken Refresh
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:32:12 pm

Are you trying to use PRECOMPS as proxies? I read your post a couple of times, and that's what I took away from it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:43:38 pm

I'm trying to make a proxy of a precomp. Is there some reason this wouldn't work? Would like to avoid using render and replace to keep it simpler but may have to since that works.

Sorry about my description. I'm always low on sleep!

-------------------
Robert A Walker III
GMR Marketing LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:50:32 pm

Now may not be the time, but you really need to read up on what proxies are and what they do:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSB356ACD2-AF59-4604-B378-31D6...

If you ask me, I think you really want to PRERENDER commonly-used precomps to speed up rendering:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Ain't AE Help grand?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:19:27 pm

I think I get the basic difference for intended use, but I wanted to use proxies to keep max flexibility in a complicated project while also saving render time. i don;t see why this caused AE to choke so bad. are there limits on proxy size?

to use prerenders in a color managed project i have to adjust color interpretation each time, and also should i have to switch back to the original comps for whatever reason, I have to manually update all instances of the prerender to point to the original comp. that seems counter-intuitive. does anybody reading successfully use full qual HD proxies as a more flexible alternative to prerendering? I am a flexibility hound, I hate the idea of having to have my precomp structures changed to 'softer' prerender links, in case there were animation timing issues or something where linked timelines would be handy.

-------------------
Robert A Walker III
GMR Marketing LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:34:09 pm

You're all about flexibility and being able to change your mind whenever the whim strikes you. Then knock yourself out with proxies, I say. Just understand that you have to be willing to pay a price for that flexibility.

You didn't say anything about flexibility to begin with. The operative word was "speed". That's a prerender.

So you can have Proxies A-Go-Go, retain that flexibility, and suffer under your current conditions... or you can prerender, pic up a lot of speed, and suffer under a DIFFERENT set of conditions.

Pick your poison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]