ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Appearance/Disappearance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davison
Appearance/Disappearance
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:11:26 pm

Hello all,
for my next film I need to make an actor's body disappear into thin air while some writing slowly appears on a wall behind her, need one effect to be near-simultaneous with another. Any suggestions on the best way (and there are many ways) to achieve this effect and have it look as realistic as possible? I'm using the CS4 version of After Effects and have the rest of the Production Premium package. Any and all suggestions most gratefully appreciated!

chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
Re: Appearance/Disappearance
on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:54:23 pm

Is your actor chroma-keyed?
If so just fade out the opacity..

if not theres 2 options: 1. you can cut the person out (kind of a pain in my opinion) or.. 2. if you lock the camera into position and shoot the actor, and shoot some video w/out anything there, you can fade out the shot w/ your actor and have the one without underneat...

as for your text, corner pin it to the wall (make sure its precomped) I'm sure there's massively large amount of tutorials, but videocopilot.net has one like "grafiti writing" or something.. that might help..

good luck!

-jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Davison
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:29:53 am

We are shooting outside and so no chroma-keying, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion on using a fade/dissolve between different takes, that could work if we do it slowly enough and it would be faster than trying to do a rotoscope or something else intensive.

As for the text (which will slowly appear on a gravestone) what do you mean by precomped?

chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:03:03 am

Ok I see..

yeah it'll work, don't worry about the slowly part, you just have to make sure that your camera DOESNT MOVE AT ALL
lock it down tight

take your shots
and make sure you get the same shot with no one in frame, just the background

then fade your shot with actors out and have the non-actor shot next layer down, VOILA! done :D

can even put like a flash or zap or.. TWITCH .. any kind of fx you can think of.. or just keyframe the opacity for slow fade or quick pop - anything you can imagine :)

have fun ;)

-jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Davison
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:01:33 am

Sounds good on the shots, can definitely lock it down and get the footage and I know how to do basic fades/dissolves in Premiere Pro but am a noob when it comes to After Effects, how would I do some of the effects you suggest?

chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:02:01 pm

Well if you got $45 to spend.. I highly recommend "TWITCH" from videocopilot.net .. that thing's pretty darn amazing..

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/twitch/

otherwise a lot can be done w/ just afterfx right out of the box. (Or use a combination of both).

For basic fades, just keyframe the opacity (hit T to bring up opacity, hit the stopwatch, move forward however long you want to tkae to fade, then change the opacity % and it'll animate).

Flashes, you can keyframe a 'curves' effect, or just overlay a colored solid (usually white, but w/e you like) and set the transfer mode to add and keyframe the opacity so it flashes briefly.

There's a few 'transition' effects built in and lots of tutorials on how to make your own.

The limiting factor here is your imagination.

This sounds like it'll be a fun/learning experience for you and you should take as much away from it as you can.

The most important thing about this is that you're happy with the end result.

Let us know if you need any more help with it.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Davison
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:45:53 pm

Great! Will try the basic fade effect with the two takes. One other quick question: in After Effects how do I put text onto a surface like a wall? I actually have to have some writing "magically" appear on a formerly-blank gravestone. Last but not least, plan to give you a Special Thanks credit on the film if that's ok?

chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:50:25 pm

LOL! that'd be awesome :D

For writing on a wall, just do your writing however it is you want it to look, precompose it, then apply the 'corner pin' effect to it.

Size the four corner points up so the writing looks good on the wall.

Major tip here: the lines on the corner pins box should be PARALLEL to the walls/floor/ceiling - if it's not the effect will die right there and look like crap :( (unless of course that's the idea, but in your case I doubt that lol)

Something I forgot to mention - that works great if the picture isn't moving.. if it is you'll have to motion track it and then apply that data to your text.. if you need more in depth info you can shoot me an email jeremyfabiano a.t. gmail d.o.t. com

-jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]