ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Collapse transformations and animating a shadow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Buonomo
Collapse transformations and animating a shadow
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:50:05 pm

Hi
Inside a main comp I have converted a typographical character into a set of masks (Create mask from text), I have then used a warp effect linked by an expression to some audio. The effect is that the letter expands and moves along with the audio. Fine. This is precomped and the resulting layer is made 3-D. I make a light and a camera and a background and what I have now is an animating shape casting a shadow onto a background.

Here is the problem: I can't find a situation where the shape is continuously rasterised (and therefore looks clean in close-up) AND the shadow animates along with the shape. What I have is either the shadow animates correctly but the shape looks pixelated (ScreenSnapz002.jpg) , OR I have a clean shape and the shadow doesn't obey the warp effect put onto the shape (ScreenSnapz001.jpg).

I have tried various combinations of collapse transformation and 3-D switching and I still haven't found a solution.

http://www.vertigo.co.uk/cow/ScreenSnapz001.jpg
http://www.vertigo.co.uk/cow/ScreenSnapz002.jpg

Thanks

PS does anyone know whether Particular 2.0 allows particles to cast a shadow on to a background?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Collapse transformations and animating a shadow
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:18:58 pm

If you want this thing to look good in close-up, then you have to make it BIG ENOUGH so it can actually look good in close-up.

Collapse Transformations isn't a cure-all that translates as "turn this into a vector layer". You're still working with masks on bitmapped solids, remember.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Antony Buonomo
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:32:54 pm

I appreciate what you're saying Dave, however I don't think it's an issue of size. The shape looks fine with a certain combination of switches but I can't get it to look fine AND have an animated shadow. Either I get a clean shape and a still shadow (sometimes no shadow) OR an animated shadow and a fuzzy shape.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:44:12 pm

Well, you could run a test to find out for sure by using that Create Outlines trick on just one letter.

Pick something curvy in a nice seraph font... an s, perhaps. Use the Free Transform tool to increase the size of the mask so the masked solid will correspond to your close-up size.

Then duplicate the current comp, replace the footage and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]