ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

digital cinema frame rate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adeeb oberoi
digital cinema frame rate
on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:19:28 pm

Some one send me an animation to finish, Its in exactly 24 frames and has a audio track. I finished adding other animations.

I think it should be 23.976 for the cinema.

What will happen when they play this in the cinemas if I render this at 24 frames (the way it is).

Regards,

Adeeb Oberoi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: digital cinema frame rate
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:46:59 pm

Leave the animation at exactly 24 frames per second, and be sure to TELL THE CLIENT that you left it at 24. That's the way it was given to you, and that's the way you should deliver it. Your part is a small part in the project.

If the client should have worked at 23.976, that's his fault. Just be sure to tell the client that your work is at 24.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoi
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:36:48 pm

Thanks, that makes perfect sense only its my client. So in the end I will be responsible for the end product.

In other words I have to hand this directly to the Movie Theater.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:42:46 pm

[adeeb oberoi] "...I have to hand this directly to the Movie Theater..."

If you don't already know, you should find out what the movie theater requires.

Don't limit your questions to the frame rate. Ask about the compression, the horizontal & vertical size, the delivery medium (tape / DVD /Blu-Ray / hard drive)... all the delivery specifications. If you are responsible for the delivery, you need to exactly what to deliver.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:53:27 pm

24fps is a cinema standard and it is what you would use to do a film output. 23.976 is what film gets set at for transfer to ntsc (29.97). that's due to the mat of the rather odd-ball 29.97 frame rate, if it had been a true 30 fps, then 24 would work fine.

anyway, if this is for a film output, you should leave it at 24 fps, but you could always contact the other party to verify the destination and frame rate. it's very easy to change it later, you'll just import the render and interpret the it as 23.976 then render it back out. it's very quick to do.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoi
on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:45:54 pm

OK, so I always thought 23.976 was the rate for Cinemas.

Actually I also have to make a copy for TV. so if I understand correctly I have to do the following:

1. Leave the one for the movies at 24 frames.

2. change the one for TV at interpret footage to 23.976 as well as th project settings (but will this influence the audio sync).

There was no video footage, these are Flash swifs imported to AE. Originally done in 24 frames in flash. Also AE titles and effects also done at 24 frames. I need to composite all together and render them for TV and movies.

Thanks
Adeeb oberoi
PS: this forum is so awesome, its so great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:14:31 pm

[adeeb oberoi] "I always thought 23.976 was the rate for Cinemas..."

Do not assume. Find out for sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[adeeb oberoi] "Actually I also have to make a copy for TV"

What sort of TV? PAL? NTSC? it makes a difference.

[adeeb oberoi] "1. Leave the one for the movies at 24 frames. "

Maybe yes, maybe no. Find out what the theater needs!

[adeeb oberoi] "2. change the one for TV at interpret footage to 23.976 as well as th project settings (but will this influence the audio sync). "

Not if you're working in PAL! It would be 25 frames/second. Furthermore, you need to find out how to deliver for TV!

You have a few questions to ask before you do any more work, I think......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoi
on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:27:56 pm

Thanks,

The TV station is NTSC standard. They convert anything they get to an mpg format for broadcasting. Any tips on how to deliver the best possible format? They don't seem to know or care everything is fine for them. Normally I make a Quicktime NTSC standart, sometimes 29.97 and other times 24 frames or even 23.976 frames. Most stuff I do is animation and rendered progressive.

I got the list from the Cinemas, lots of information... more confusing then anything. In fact it looks like they except lots of formats and they will convert, but last time they did that it went wrong.
I am going to have a talk with the company that does the conversion for them.

Thanks,

Adeeb

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:21:40 pm

[adeeb oberoi] "They convert anything they get to an mpg format for broadcasting. Any tips on how to deliver the best possible format?"

Give the TV station something lossless. In Windows, perhaps a lossless AVI. In Mac-land, I suggest Quicktime's Animation codec at best quality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[adeeb oberoi] "I am going to have a talk with the company that does the conversion for them. "

Excellent! That is precisely what you should do. There will be no confusion then.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]