ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating paint dripping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anushka NanayakkaraAnimating paint dripping
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:25:32 am

Hi there

I'm working on a project where I need to animate paint drips. These paint drips need to contain their organic movement, but I need to be able to control the direction they move in individually e.g if i wanted one drip to move around an object, how would I go about doing this?

I have looked into liquid displacement, and I also think filming the drips would be difficult as they will probably not move in the direction I need them to.

Some advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Animating paint dripping
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:45:22 pm

Shooting the drips is the best option, al;ways the best. You can scale, rotate, combine, time warp, and apply additional effects to distort or add highlights. Trying to simulate liquids in AE is possible but dicey, it always looks simulated unless you are very skilled and patient. I am skilled, I am NOT patient.

You can search the Cow for drips and liquid tutorials.

Hoe you get better advice over the next few days. Sorry not to be able to solve this for you directly; I always prefer to do these as practical effects with a camera.
Please come back and tell us how you solved your problem.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Here's why you wanna shoot paint
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:45:50 pm

From Motionographer blog, Brigham Young University students created this for a typography film festival.:

Bookmark ths site:

Return to posts index

Anushka NanayakkaraRe: Here's why you wanna shoot paint
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 9:35:12 pm

Hi David Thanks for your response, and the amazing video link.
Normally I would go with the practical approach, but unfortunately at present I'm not equiped with a great camera (which I forgot to mention, sorry)

I also posted this question on the cinema 4D forum, incase AE was not the programme I needed for this project and was directed towards RealFlow, which seems to be the next best thing to filming. So I'm going to give it a bash and see if I can get something similar to what I am looking for.

Thanks again for your help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved