ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

time remap instances

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonçalo Perdigaotime remap instances
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:02:38 pm

Hi there i have a footage of a girl dancing, i did an offset in time remap.
But i want to create several instances that have some depth between them, so the only blending mode that works more or less was darken, but when i give some opacity to the layers is when everything goes bad.
I'm a bit stuck right now.
I'm going to send the original footage, and the renders that i made, can you point me to the right direction, or suggest a tutorial that might help me?

Download link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/rk4keq

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: time remap instances
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:11:18 pm

Let's see... you shot video --in HD, no less -- with an effect in mind, but you had absolutely no idea of how to do the effect. Is that correct? In English we say, "It sounds like you put the cart before the horse."

Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gonçalo PerdigaoRe: time remap instances
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:18:18 pm

Hi there, you're right, in post it cost more time and money that filming again.
But the problem is that i work in a company that everything is solve in post production, and my boss arrives and give e this job to do.

If it was filmed in chroma it was a piece of cake, but it was not.

So now i have to solve this, my only problem here is how to give more depth between the instances, or having a way that they don't blend so much, so if you could help me, i would be really appreciate, if not thanks for the reply

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:40:57 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "...i work in a company that everything is solve in post production, and my boss arrives and give me this job to do...."

The fools! Did they at least give you a clean background plate, or can you build one out of bits and pieces of the footage?

...and are you willing to tell your boss the following?

"Boss, I will have to rotoscope this dancer. That means I have to animate a mask around the dancer, and change the mask for almost each and every frame of video. I can then add multiple layers of the dancer back into the comp, and easily add blur to the layers that are supposed to be further in the background. But the time-consuming part is the rotoscoping. Depending on the length of the video, I may take a few days or a few weeks."

That's what you're going to have to tell your boss. I hope you're prepared to do so.
Now you MIGHT be able to create a matte by using the original footage, then using the Levels effect on it. But you will still have to mask those places where the dark-colored frames should not appear, and animate the mask(s) very carefully so you don't cut into the dancer.

It's still going to be a long, hard job.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:23:54 pm

I should have mentioned this first: the most difficult part of this job will be removing the dancer from the background. After that, it is no more difficult than if the dancer had been shot on a green background.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: time remap instances
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:37:41 pm

AE CS4 came out with a new plugin called time difference that will make rotoscoping that 99% automatic.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:18:30 pm

How well does this Time Difference effect work? Have you tried it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]