ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Media Composer to AfterEffects HD workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt BurrowsMedia Composer to AfterEffects HD workflow
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:31:16 pm

I’m currently shooting a documentary in Panasonic DVC Pro HD 1080/60i-24p. This is my first time shooting in this format and I’m really not sure about the workflow in post. I have no problem transferring footage into my Media Composer 3.0 system but I really need some suggestions regarding exporting clips into AfterEffects for compositing. This show will be heavy on the compositing and I need to know the best methods for getting my clips out of MC and into AE and back. in SD I usually export a QT reference clip into AE, do the compositing, render the final clip and import it back into a bin in MC. However, when I do that with my HD timelines, I’m noticing what appears to be a field dominance mismatch on my final distribution DVD. Can someone share their work flow with me?

The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Media Composer to AfterEffects HD workflow
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:40:12 pm

Okay, I don't know beans about how Avids work, but I do know AE, and I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll want to remove the 3:2 pulldown from that P2 footage before you start editing. Not only will it make life after the edit much, MUCH easier, you'll be able to use the footage in AE with no problems.

It's just that I don't know Avid-speak nor Avid-technique for "remove the pulldown"

Furthermore, it sounds like you'd really benefit from Automatic Duck. It makes AE comps out of Avid timelines. Pretty cool. It even includes dissolves, audio modifications... and perhaps even effects. Just Google Automatic Duck and you'll find it. Something like $500.

If you were running Final Cut Pro, I'd also recommend a freebie from Popcorn Island called fcp2ae. It's a plain-Jane, limited-features script that gets an FCP edit timeline into an AE comp... just without all of The Duck's bells & whistles..

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved