ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Enlarging Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam StevensEnlarging Footage
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:53:50 pm

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm not a regular user of After Effects...

I'm working on a project using footage shot in 1920x1080 HDV and need to create some artificial zooms on various shots as the cameraman decided not to do them during the original shoot.
When I have tried enlarging them in the Composition however, they have degraded significantly, looking blurrier all round depsite the number of pixels available. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this may be, and hopefully some solutions as to what I can do to improve upon it?

Many thanks,

Sam

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Enlarging Footage
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:51:23 pm

There's a section in After Effects Help about scaling movies up.

Keep in mind that scaling a bitmap/raster image up beyond its original resolution requires the software to, essentially, make up information. This is always going to cause some loss in quality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Enlarging Footage
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:16:50 pm

A scale-up plugin for AE does exist, called Instant HD, and you can google it. As Todd writes, it may be spotty at best. But there are a couple of reasons why doing this isn't the best idea on the planet. Here's one:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

The second reason has to do with the type of footage you're using, especially if you're new to HDV in AE:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Wow! That's the first time I've used two canned answers in the same post.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Enlarging Footage
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:59:36 pm

Yeah, Instant HD is one of the third-party solutions mentioned in the resources that I pointed to.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Sam StevensRe: Enlarging Footage
by on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:50:20 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and thanks for your suggestions. In the end, as I was rendering down to 640x480, I've ended up just cropping the footage in and have worked around it this way for now, but will investigate the plugins you mentioned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]