ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Layer handles have disappeared?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HoustonLayer handles have disappeared?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:11:29 am

I've got a project with around 10 3D comps in it, and have found in some of them that the layer handles (X,Y,Z arrows attached to the anchor point) have disappeared from some of the 3D layers.
This is really confusing, as it has only happened to some of my layers (either text layers, or PNG files) and I'm puzzled as to how it's happening.

I'm not using any weird plugins, just 3D layers with DOF & motion blur applied. No nested comps.
If I import the same PNG into a new composition, the layer handles still don't show up - but if I create a completely new project and import the PNG, everything works fine.

If I create a new project, and import the existing project, the problem still happens.

I've been using After Effects since 6.5 and haven't seen anything like this. It's quite a big job, so any help would be great. I can't afford to rebuild anything.

Also, in the effected comps - I cannot see the 3D camera or motion paths in the viewer.

OS X 10.5.8
After Effects

Return to posts index

James HoustonRe: Layer handles have disappeared?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:23:56 am

Weird, just found a workaround:

I create a 2D layer, and draw any mask on it... This will then 'wake up' the viewing window and allow it to see 3D cams, motion paths, layer handles etc.

I can then delete the 2D layer and everything is back to normal.

Return to posts index

Guy MiccicheRe: Layer handles have disappeared?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:22:44 am

1. Click on your Viewport.
2. View > View Options... (Control + Alt + U)
3. Check "Handles"

You can also access the "View Options" from the Viewport tab located in the upper right of your Viewport.

Guy Micciche

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Layer handles have disappeared?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:11:05 am

Man I'm glad this answer was here: was driving me crazy.

Worst. Option. Ever.

"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved