ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Convert 1080p (Canon 5D) to 1080i (istock required)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Daigon
Convert 1080p (Canon 5D) to 1080i (istock required)
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:18:25 am

Here is an unusual question. What is the best work flow for converting a raw Canon 5D video file (H.264 1080p 30fps) to a isotckphoto required (Photo-JPEG 1080i 30fps) file?
Ive tried one approach an am looking for a consensus or alternative. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Convert 1080p (Canon 5D) to 1080i (istock required)
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:33:23 pm

i would do it one of two ways...

one, bring the footage into a 29.97 comp, add it to the render queue, click the render settigns and choose field render (upper for 1080i). then click the output module and set the quicktime options to use photo-jpeg (rather than the default lossess) with the specs from istock.

this will render fields, but the upper/lower fields will be the same for each frame, so it will still look progressive and the frames will be un-modified.

another way would be to do the same, but before rendering, enable frame blending for the footage layer (layer>frame blending>pixel motion). then render as above. ae will interpolate a frame between each progressive frame and use that frame for the opposite field render.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:52:45 pm

Thank you Kevin. Your first approach is the same one I tried on a lark.
The only question I have is that when I display the stats in QT Pro
it does not identify the clip as 1080i, but if memory serves, when I displayed the original raw clip it did say it was 1080P.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:04:42 pm

I'd use a different method.

I'd use some sort of compression software to do the job. Since I'm a Mac guy, Apple's Compressor comes immediately to mind. Like Kevin, I agree that Photo JPEG is a good codec. Others are DVCPro HD and that ol' standby, Quicktime's Animation codec.

But watch out if you want to use AE! That Canon shoots 30fps and not 29.97, so you have to Conform the footage to 29.97 in the Interpret Footage settings BEFORE you put it in a 29.97 comp. And since H.264 is a temporally-compressed (aka inTERframe or long-gop) codec, it can -- and probably will -- give AE fits. You my scratch your head over the way-long render times in AE... H.264 would be the culprit.

That's why I think AE isn't really the best tool for this task. And don't get me started on that Canon camera; I personally think it's WAY overrated.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:28:51 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "That Canon shoots 30fps and not 29.97, so you have to Conform the footage to 29.97 in the Interpret Footage settings BEFORE you put it in a 29.97 comp"

i overlooked that very important step... dave is right, you will want to do that or it will create issues in the render.

dave is also correct that h.264 can cause problems with the final render from after effects. if you choose to use ae to create 1080i, then you'd be best off to convert it to a lossless mov first. and, if you are using a compression utility to do that, you might be best off to let it handle the interlacing and just bypass ae all together.

i think i'll just go to sleep now... getting up at 3am is effecting my brain, and caffine jsut isn't enough ;)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:54:15 pm

Thanks Dave and Kevin. Several points:
1. Photo JPEG is the best option as provided by istocks requirements.
2. Being a long time Mac user of AE I did interpret the footage to 29.97 before converting
3. I also told it to be 1st field upper to make it interlaced.
4. The conversion was smooth sailing and done in about 2 min for a 30 sec. clip
5.I also tried MPEG streamclip which when smooth and fast.
6. Compressor at the best setting (with Q Master Cluster rendering active) was going to ake 40 min - at normal setting it predicted 8 mins.
Since I can color correct and convert in one place, AE is the winner!
Thanks again for the input guys!

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:37:25 pm

let me muck this up one last time. I use Re Visions "Twixtor Pro" to 'create the extra frames required for "true" interlacing output vs frame blending which tends to soften an image or the alternative of just
placing the same frame in both fields which, visually, does not add anything too the look.

my 2 cents

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:35:52 pm

AE's simple reinterlacing would give a different speed look than interpolating new frames. Try a demo of reelsmart's reinterlacer too.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:46:57 pm

Great suggestion Chris. As I said, if istock has issues this is another great plugin to know about. And its probably the most reasonably priced plugin Ive seen from re:vision!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:40:20 pm

Thanks for mucking up Scott ;) If istock makes an issue of my simplified approach its good to know I have a backup plan.Fiscal
considerations make any unnecessary software purchases a low priority at this moment in time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:43:35 pm

One final question: I understand that the delivery specs call for 1080i, but is it because this outfit doesn't WANT the look of progressive-scan video?

It's extremely easy to render progressive 1080 as interlaced 1080 -- just render it interlaced. It retains the progressive look, yet it's still interlaced.

It isn't any different than 30P footage shot on a nice Panasonic DV camera like the DVX 100B. The footage from it has a progressive look, but it's interlaced.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:49:51 pm

Dave its a great question that only istockphoto knows the answer to. I have a similar quiry into them but havnt heard yet. I did the trick you mentioned about rendering it interlaced and if it makes them happy so much the better. I will keep you posted.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:11:13 pm

UPDATE:
istockphoto informed me that 1080p 30fps was acceptable, so that simplifies the process. But from my tests the other day, I realize the best workflow conversion for batches is MPEG Streamclip. Its fast and clean. Compressor is slow as mud.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]