ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What specs do I need to edit at 720p?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake SedgeWhat specs do I need to edit at 720p?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 1:00:25 pm

I am using 720p HD format, the video was converted from AVCHD 1080i (loads of lag) to WMV HD 720p at 25fps.

I am running a AMD quad core at 2.3Ghz (9650), 4Gb RAM @ 800Mhz, an EVGA 9800GTX and a Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm 500Gb Hard drive with an 8Mb (I know...) cache.

When editing the video playback is very laggy, which I am fine with, but when I export, it sometimes comes out choppy. What should I do? When rendering, my CPU usage goes to 100% all 4 cores, I am planning on overclocking that, how much is enough? I am assuming my RAM and GPU are ok, but my hard drive...

Should I buy a high speed hard drive to store all my editing stuff on, of course it would help, but would it be dramatic?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: What specs do I need to edit at 720p?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 3:28:49 pm

I edit using the DVCPROHD codec at 720p on firewire 800 drives with no problems.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: What specs do I need to edit at 720p?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:12:39 pm

I don't know much about the conversion process, but as far as your ram/cpu setup, from what I'm aware, its 1 GB PER CPU. That means if you have 4 cores and 4 gigs, (with multiprocessing enabled) what's left for the operating system?

I find myself in the same dilema... Core2Duo, 2 gigs of ram :(

I foresee an upgrade in the very near future.

For you I'm guessing you're on a 32bit architecture, if you want to fully utilize your CPU's max potential it might be in your best interest to go to 64bit. As for overclocking, CPU speed is awesome, just make sure you have adequate cooling or you'll be shopping for CPUs as well as a new OS :S

Good luck, I hope this is of some help to you.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jake SedgeRe: What specs do I need to edit at 720p?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:46:48 pm

Thanks to both of you!

I wasnt aware of the 1Gb to 1core thing, I intend to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit when more drivers are released in the future. What do you think of the hard drive? Would I notice a fairly big difference if I got a 16 or 32mb cache and used it purely for video editing?

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: What specs do I need to edit at 720p?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:25:44 pm

in my experience more cache = faster access/loads which is ALWAYS nice no matter what you're doing. avoid 5400 rpm drives.. although cheaper, they tend to respond slower.. there's new 10k rpm drives available in IDE and SATA now.. a tad pricier than their 7200 rpm counterparts, but being used to 10k and 15k rpm scsi drives, I welcome the change to our normal motherboards.

A note on the memory things w/ afterfx.. until Adobe decides to gives us 64bit AE, the application itself is still limited to 4gigs (aprox 3.5g) of usable ram.

This however is only for the program itself. When you enable multiprocessing (the way i understand it) you can assign UP TO aprox 3.5 gigs / CORE (and a minimum of 1 gig / core).

There's more knowledgeable people on here than can answer a lot more precisely, but I'm just sharing what I've learned so far in messing w/ it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]