ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Oscilloscope Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Venn
Oscilloscope Effect
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:03:54 am

Hi everyone
Im trying to achieve a more realistic oscilloscope effect; using a glowing dot following a path instead of a glowing line.
Trouble is I have no idea how ha. How would I do this? I don't necessarily need it to react to sound
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
Re: Oscilloscope Effect
on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:21:15 pm

Hmm.. Thinking about this a certain tutorial comes to mind.

Jerzy Drozda Jr. did a very nice tutorial on making a radar (that actually does things) but the techniques in it could be used to make an oscilloscope. It's a very well put together tutorial and it was quite easy for me to complete when I was just learning afterfx.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/drozda_jerzy/Radar.php

Good luck!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Venn
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:19:46 pm

Thank you very much, it's helped alot -
Now, does anyone know how to implement a fading trail?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:29:08 pm

You're welcome :)

I thought it was on there, I could be wrong, it's been a year since I saw that tutorial (was hospitalized for a very long time).

there's a setting somewhere in there that lets you fade out the tail. I thought there was an EKG example as part of what those effects in that tutorial could do. Otherwise search for some sort of EKG or heart monitor tutorial, there's a few out there. They usually fade out the tail quite nicely.

Apart from that, you might be able to link the position of a layer with an alpha(or luma) matte, to the position of the glowy part of your animation. This way seems to me to be a lot more prone to weirdness and anomalies though. I'd stick w/ finding the setting for the effect that creates your line.

Again, good luck (and have fun! it's not worth it if you don't...).

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Venn
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:41:35 pm

Yeah he uses an echo effect on the tutorial and it doesn't quite work as well, but I'm sure your suggestions will
Thankyou very much for the help =)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:43:57 pm

No worries, I just hope it works!!

Let us see it if you can when you're done :)

We all like to see how our contributions help.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:37:56 pm

Easiest way to simulate a scope is to shoot one. Oscilloscopes are different from EKGs that leave a fading line abut I guess you guys have already worked over those details.

I've never gone beyond using Vegas for these effects. Offers all the controls one could possibly need for simulating traces on a CRT.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Dan Venn
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:18:02 pm

Y see I would have done that from square one but I'm using it to follow a path that'd be impossible to do in reality..
Perhaps Ill shoot a straight trace and play about with warping it.
I'll take a look at Vegas, it's on the college computers ;)
Only problem now is a standard frame rate isn't so smooth for such a fast moving object but I guess a long trace will ease that a little

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:22:47 pm

Didn't think to shoot an actual trace (didn't ask either if you had access to an Oscilloscope either)... Good idea though.

Another option for that one is to record that trace at 60 FPS (hopefully you have a camera capable of that..) then you could convert it to any FPS you felt like as every frame would be unique..

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]