ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

new camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
efraim ornew camera
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 2:09:38 pm

yo everybody what's up.
ok, so its been a while since I started to work with after effects (4-5 months).
therefore I want to take it one step further and to buy a camera.
right now I'm using my nokia n85 phone 5MP camera (lame, I know).

anyway, just finished my military NO MONEY hehe.
my budget is 4000 shekels, something like 900$ (-+)

I don't think I need right now something fancy and expensive, I want something good to start with.
good video camera for day-light shots, and obviously - with usb cable (to be able export the videos to AE).

I have absolutely no knowledge about cameras.
any help?
thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: new camera
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:44:02 pm

I'm in the same boat (camera wise).

I use a pair of early 1990's VHS cameras. I chose these because of some of the settings I wanted to use plus they were CHEAP!! $20 for the pair + a 640x480 capable usb Video capture box.

While this works fine for screwing around and learning the program, it's only slightly better than a camera phone.

The question comes down to this:

Do you need to do production work (as in get paid?) or are you just learning the program because you love compositing and effects (or perhaps want to mess around with your friends).

For production work, I'd get a serious camera. For hobby usage, I'd get something nice, but not overly expensive. I've been using my crappy cameras w/ afterfx for over a year and only now am I really concidering spending any money on one. This is mainly due to wanting to change it from a hobby to something I can do freelance work on.

Panasonic and Cannon have some nice cameras (I can't give model #'s as I don't remember). I'd go with something that has FIREWIRE (1392?) on it as well as the USB.

For myself I was looking at one camera that did DV tapes for video and digital for the pictures. It was about $1,200 but could be found online for $800-$1000. It's a really nice camera but unfortunately I can't remember who made it.

Good luck to ya, I know this doesn't help too much but hopefully it'll give you something to at least point you in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: new camera
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:28:14 pm

You can learn almost everything there is to learn with a simple Prosumer DV camera. You don't NEED an HD camera to learn about video footage in AE -- it's an extravagence. If you find a DV camera that shoots progressive-scan (30P, 25P), so much the better.

You don't need 24p as a beginner!!!! Forget it!!! Since you price things in Scheckels, you're in Israel, and that's a PAL country. If you happen to run across a camera in your price range that does 25P, that's good enough.

Take a few weeks to do your research, don't jump at the first camera that looks good, and definitely don't jump at ANY camera that looks TOO good. If it looks too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. Don't be fooled.

The only other absolutely necessary piece of equipment for a beginner is a tripod. Get one.

And start saving money to upgrade your camera and buy new gear. You've chosen a VERY expensive hobby.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: new camera
by on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:25:21 pm

Have to agree on a tripod!!

God I wish I had one... setting your camera up on a stack of books is rather lame (and quite annoying as you can't lock the camera down, or pan, or... yeah...)..

There's actually some rather cheap ones floating around, but I hear you do get what you pay for in that area..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved