ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fiery atmosphere - how to?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DelFiery atmosphere - how to?
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 12:58:24 am

I want to create a scene from 'hell' where the atmosphere is fiery, almost like when you look through a flame, distorted - I guess the HAZE effect in the summer on the road might be the best way to describe it - the air is not necessarily 'on fire' but distorted like what happens in a fire. Any ideaS?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fiery atmosphere - how to?
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 2:20:30 am

Here's a Community Help search for 'heat haze' that brings up plenty of answers. Many of them are variations on the theme of 1) creating a noise layer and 2) using that as a the control layer for an instance of the Displacement Map effect.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Fiery atmosphere - how to?
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:55:09 pm

It might work also to take one of those haze ideas... but add to it.

I'd precomp my footage, apply the haze to the precomp, then go INTO the precomp, add a reddish-orange (fire/hell?) colored solid over top, turn the opacity to maybe 10-30, switch to additive transfer mode, and maybe (if you dont want the main shot colorized) mask off w/ subtract below the 'horizon' level (don't forget to feather it).

That should give you your 'hell'ish atmosphere.

Could also add an adjustment layer with a glow effect to kind of make it "pop" out at you and wrap around objects.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Show us the final when you get it doen :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved