ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

combining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Stewartcombining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 8:14:26 pm

I'm making one uber project where I've imported about 8 related projects. Each one of those uses the same precomps in their master comps. Therefore I've ended up with 8 "precomp" folders all with the same precomps but appearing in different comps.

Is there a way to just use one set of these precomps? That is, an easier way than "show in comp" and then replacing each and every one?

Andrea Stewart
Producer/Editor/Director - Owner
Germane Creative LLC

Return to posts index

alexandre brasoRe: combining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 8:32:08 pm

you can replace one footage(or precomp) just selecting it in the timeline panel and then selecting other footage(or precomp) in project panel and draging over original in timeline panel while press opt(ctrl on pc).
i thing it can help you.

Alexandre Braso
http://www.pixelsrender.com.br

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: combining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 8:44:32 pm

Now, that's a headache for sure, and I hate to say it: it won't get better. You'll have to proceed very, VERY carefully if you proceed at all... and frankly, I don't think you should. I wouldn't do it. The way AE is put together, it just isn't made to do what you seek with any kind of ease.

AE treats each of those imported projects as its own entity. Despite being identical from project to project, the precomps in one imported project folder ARE NOT the same precomps in another. If you're really serious about making one huge project, you'll have to use a replace footage command.

Do you know about the Option-drag (mac) trick to replace one piece of footage for another? You'd have to use precomps from just one folder, and replace the footage (in this case, precomps) in all the other comps in each of the other seven imported project folders.

Sound confusing? It is! And fraught with peril if you have a mental lapse and replace the wrong precomp.

So maybe now isn't really the best time to make one huge monster project. Maybe now is the time to think about how to organize the NEXT big, huge project.

If you choose to proceed, I'll be thinking of you. To use a Lord of The Rings analogy, I'll be thinking of you like the people of Minas Tirith thought of Faramir after his father, Denethor, ordered him to retake Osgiliath from the invaders from Mordor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrea StewartRe: combining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:30:49 pm

Thank you for your sympathy Dave. Unfortunately I was given a drive with all the projects split out. And for their purposes it makes sense, but for mine it would really limit how much I can do. So I'm afraid I'm stuck with the huge project.

I already tried doing the option drag thing and yes ran into the peril of replacing the wrong thing and deleting unused solids, etc and what did I end up with? A big mess. So I had to start over.

I will heed your advice and just live with the huge project. I have also posted to ae enhancers to see if anyone is familiar with a script that would accomplish this. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Thanks,
Andrea

Andrea Stewart
Producer/Editor/Director - Owner
Germane Creative LLC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: combining multiple projects & reducing # of precomps
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:34:36 pm

[Andrea Stewart] " have also posted to ae enhancers to see if anyone is familiar with a script that would accomplish this. I'll let you know if I hear back. "

Thanks! I'd appreciate knowing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]