ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Move some layers plus only the keyframes in another layer, is it possible.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon DraperMove some layers plus only the keyframes in another layer, is it possible.
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:46:28 pm

Good afternoon.
Trying to see if there is a big time saver out there that I've never realised.

I keep having this crop up so was wondering if there is a shortcut or button I've never discover.

I want to be able to move some layers back a few seconds, but also want to move the keyframes on the camera back as well, but only the camera keyframes where the layers are involved.

Example:
Is there a way to select two layers, and also highlight some of the camera position and target keyframes and drag them back without it moving either just the keyframes or all the camera keyframes.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Jon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Move some layers plus only the keyframes in another layer, is it possible.
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 2:52:38 pm

There's no magic keystroke combination that'll do the trick, but you can make life easier with markers. Here's how:
  • Find the point in the timeline where you want to start the layers. Make a marker on the timeline, any number from Shift-0 through Shift-9, using the number keys on the main keyboard -- NOT the numeric keypad.
  • Find the point in the timeline where you want to start the camera keyframes. Make a marker as above.
  • Select the layers you want to move. On the main keyboard, hit the number key corresponding to the proper marker. The timeline cursor moves to that marker.
  • If ALL the layers are to start at the same time, hit the left bracket key: ( [ ). The in points of the selected layers move to the new time. If the layers are staggered in time, Shift-drag the layers until the in point of the layer you want to start first snaps into place, and the others will follow right along.
  • Select the camera keyframes you want to move. On the main keyboard, hit the number key corresponding to the proper marker. The timeline cursor moves to that marker.
  • Shift-drag the keyframes until the first one snaps into place.

That's it! Pretty easy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon DraperRe: Move some layers plus only the keyframes in another layer, is it possible.
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 3:08:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, I guess that is the best way to do it, seems such as shame that you can't simply hold down 'shift' or something similar and drag and let it drag any layers selected plus any keyframes picked out from another layer.

If anyone stumbles across a way built in or using a script that would be just lovely.

Cheers
jon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Move some layers plus only the keyframes in another layer, is it possible.
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 3:17:34 pm

Well, there IS the "Clairvoyance" plugin from Amazing Kreskin Software, which lets you move layer in points by thought.

But there's a problem with it: the plugin is a real render hog. Then its Brainwave Sensor hardware ties up a Firewire 800 port and it looks like you're wearing a pasta strainer on your head... not very fashionable, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]