ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Audio Glitch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colby WallerAE Audio Glitch
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:12:01 am

I have a problem with an mp3 file placed within an AE composition. The file has been placed then duplicated onto 5 separate layers. I've done this so I can isolate individual spoken sentences within the mp3. Each layer has been trimmed close to the beginning/end point and the volume has been adjusted as well so that only the waveform I want is visible.

The problem I am encountering is an inconsistency in the file whenever I render it - regardless of file format that I render too. It's almost as if the audio track shifts along the timeline - sometimes the first few syllables are trimmed off, sometime the last, sometimes there is just a little hitch in the speech.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Audio Glitch
by on Sep 11, 2009 at 2:58:33 pm

[Colby Waller] "Any thoughts on what is causing this?"

Yup -- those mp3's. AE absolutely HATES compressed audio. Convert them to AIFF or WAV files, and you can't use AE for the conversion -- you have to use another application.

You could also be compounding your problems with the nature of any video footage you're using:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: AE Audio Glitch
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:00:25 pm

To convert the mp3's to wav's you can use Audacity.

It's free, doesn't take much power to run, and is relatively simple to use. It's also available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Peter DobesRe: AE Audio Glitch
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 4:29:59 pm

I had a very similar problem.
I'm putting together a short clip with some graphics and a few music tracks under them. Simple fade in and out on the sound.

I started with mp3 files, ran into the glitches you mention, converted every audio file to wav.
Not using any compression now but still experiencing the random popping sounds (both on the export and the RAM preview).

When I listen outside AE to the wav files the music is clean without glitches.

I've spent days trying to figure out what causes the error and I really need to get this clip out the door.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved