ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Memory settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Triantafillou
Memory settings
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:48:56 pm

Ok so I have a dell that is running the 64 bit XP and I just put 8 gigs of ramm in it. When I start up AE it tells me that it is using 4 gigs only can someone help me with setting up my AE to use the max amount of ramm possible. I also have OpenGL selected. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Brett

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
Re: Memory settings
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:15:54 pm

After Effects is a 32 bit application. Try a google search before writing a post.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:02:55 pm

If that's the answer, then why is everyone's solution for getting more memory to after effects, to switch to 64 bit os and cramp more ram into it?

There's gotta be a better answer out there other than getting on this guys case for not Googling whether AE is a 32 bit app or not.

Return to posts index

Brett Triantafillou
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:28:41 pm

Thank you Jeremy for being cool and giving me an actual answer instead of crap for not googling it. To the other guy if my post bothered you so much why bother replying. I thought the reason for the community is to ask questions and get responses from actual people. So thank you again Jeremy very cool of you to respond.

Brett

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:34:07 pm

I've been in the same boat before. Not knowing exactly what to search for, and asking a question in the 'basic' area and getting ridiculed for it.

From what little time I had to search, it seems AE will use a max of about 3.5 gigs PER CORE.

If I'm understanding that correctly, that means on a quadcore, you SHOULD be able to use about 14 gigs of ram, even though the program is still only 32bit (allowing only a total of 4 gigs for the main application).

I'll go out on a limb here and make some guesses. I've wanted to try these things, but due to my budget, I'm still limited to 2 gigs of ram on a dual core system.

Set your multicpu render ( to do multiple frames at once) and give each core 3.5 gigs, leaving whatever's left for the operating system.

It might not exactly help during PREVIEWS, but I believe during actual renders, you should notice a massive difference.

I hope this is of some help to you, please post any information you might learn along the way that may help those of us who are in the same situation, but are unable to get knowledgeable help on the subject.

Good luck to you!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:45:37 pm

oh!

I just realized you didn't mention how many cpu's/cores you have...

If its a dual core go right ahead..

If you're on a quadcore be careful. Make sure you leave at least .5 to .75 gigs of ram for your operating system or it'll misbehave. A lot.

Dual core: 3.5 gigs / core
Quad core: 1.87 gigs / core leaves you with .5 gigs of ram
1.81 gigs / core leaves you with .75 gigs of ram for os
1.75 gigs / core is more realistic, leaves 1 gig for os so you can do other things at the same time.

Dual Quad core: get more ram :S I'd suggest 32 gigs w/ this cpu setup.

Minimum ram (in my opinion) while maxing the amount per core (at 3.5 gigs / core).

Single Core: 4 gigs (3.5g-AE, .5 gig for os) - Time to upgrade...
Dual core: 8 gigs (7g-AE gig for os)
Quad core: 16 gigs (14g-AE, 2 gigs for os)
Dual Quad: 32 gigs (28g-AE, 4 gigs for os)

Also, there's the performance improving guide that has good information in it (I still haven't finished reading it yet :D ).

Once again good luck and hope this helps!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Triantafillou
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:57:07 pm

Well it's my computer at work so I'll have to check the specs tomorrow. But I'm sure the info you have me will be a huge help thanks again. I'll let you know what I find. I did also remember hearing somewhere that AE would go to 64bit sometime soon. So maybe that will help in the future.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:59:44 pm

You're very welcome. Yes I am looking for an excuse to get a 64bit os, that'll be the only reason I do :D

Tell them you need more ram :D

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]