ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing Temporal value - 29.97 - 25fps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin WatkinsChanging Temporal value - 29.97 - 25fps?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:38:41 pm

Hi,

This seems far too simple to be a realistic solution:

I have a 720 29.97fps comp that has type etc over footage (animation codec) - never longer than about 15 seconds, talking head. The client requested an editable file for use overseas by their affiliates. They want the same 1280x720 frame size but at the PAL 25fps frame rate. I simply changed the frame rate in the Comp settings and rendered out a file. Which seems to be ok...(The original files appear to be slightly out of sync anyway due to a boom mic that seemed to be pretty far away, so its incredibly hard to tell with the 25fps files...)

Will this really work? Should I not have the footage converted to 25fps first and then re-build these files?

Thanks,
Kevin Watkins.
Mac Pro using AE CS4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Changing Temporal value - 29.97 - 25fps?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:36:34 pm

[Kevin Watkins] "Will this really work?"

No. Oh, you can get it to work, but after a few minutes the average viewer will notice something very wrong. A pro can tell in a heartbeat.

[Kevin Watkins] "Should I not have the footage converted to 25fps first and then re-build these files? "

You should have indeed. And you should have used frame rate conversion software from someone like Magic Bullet, Twixtor, ReelVision, etc.

Prove it to yourself: make a long line -- maybe 18 inches or so. Above the line, make tick marks to divide the line into 30 equal parts. Below the line, mark 25 equal parts. Do you see how they don't match up? That's what happens when you force NTSC video into a PAL frame rate comp. Frame rate conversion software matches everything up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin WatkinsRe: Changing Temporal value - 29.97 - 25fps?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:50:10 pm

Thanks Dave. I was planning on sending it out to have the frame rate converted via an Alchemist system. Tried this as a test and the QT file is difficult to gauge, as I mentioned.

If its too good to be true...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Changing Temporal value - 29.97 - 25fps?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:57:59 pm

[Kevin Watkins] "...I was planning on sending it out to have the frame rate converted via an Alchemist system."

That's even better. Hardware trumps software any day.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]