ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Help with background layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Beznicki
Help with background layers
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:24:39 pm

Hi,

I am trying to create the illusion that I am traveling down a path at high speeds but in reverse using a background i've created in photoshop. The background is a dirt path with trees. Is there a way to have the background layers continuosly loop to give the appearance that the viewer is moving very fast away from the distance?

Thank You

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Help with background layers
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:42:56 pm

That's hard to say -- can you answer a few questions?
  • How were you thinking of doing it? Using camera motion on 3D layers? A simple zoom?
  • Does this need to look photorealistic? Can it look stylized?
  • How would you feel about trashing the background you now have -- every bit of it -- and recreating it from scratch in Illustrator?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Beznicki
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:03:53 pm

Originally I had the layers individually scaling down starting from out of frame, and then I would lower the opacity of the layers furthest away. I repeated this process with duplicate layers but found it too tedious and wanted to find a way a another method using some type of looping mechanism.

It definitely does not need to look photorealistic and could be stylized. I'm doing it for an animation.

I don't actually have illustrator but would not be advserse to scrapping the background if necessary for a different process to work.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:58:02 pm

Okay, this is a common problem for AE rookies: they can't describe what they want. Perhaps its because they don't know themselves. Perhaps it's because they've never had to put their descriptive powers to the test. But I'd bet nobody knows precisely what you're after, and since nobody's clairvoyant, you're going to have to do the heavy lifting.

So here's your assignment:
Using only plain English -- no mock technospeak allowed -- describe precisely what you want the viewer to see. From your rough description, here are questions to start you thinking:
  • How far are the viewer's eyes above this dirt path?
  • Is the viewer looking straight down at the path, or can he see stright ahead to the horizon?
  • What soft of things are at the sides of this path?
  • What's the general scene: suburb, desert, forest, mountain, jungle?
  • Can you see the sky? What does it look like?
  • What speed is the viewer moving along this path?
  • Any turns? Hills? Ruts?

That's just a start. Creativity, completeness of vision and CLARITY counts. Think before you write. You'll be graded on this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

alexandre braso
on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:43:12 pm

Well...
i don't know if i really undertand your problem, but i think you can sold it making a copy of your background layer, put the 2 layers of the background side by side, create a null object to manipulate de layers, make a keyframe in position of null to start position with the first layer at the center of the composition and a end position with the second layer at the center the composition, create a loop out expression in the position property of null object and enable motion blur if you want.

Alexandre Braso
http://www.pixelsrender.com.br

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:43:16 pm

http://www.videocopilot.net have a tutorial that will show you the techniques you need. Its showing how to zoom out from a building to outer space looking back at the earth, but the techniques andrew uses can be adapted to do exactly what you want.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]