ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Hines3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:22:48 pm

Is that right?

Just a keyed out talking head with a .png for a bg.

make movie quicktime mostly defaults.

cs4
pc vista 64
i7 3.07GHz
12 GB ram
seperate internal media drive. Not for nuthin' Premier and Illustrator pretty slow and buggy also.

Let me add I had an old mac dual g5 and it seems to me I was getting much longer ram previews with 3 GB ram and after effects 7.0

Is CS4 broken? I have all the updates.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:01:38 pm

sure is if you're using hdv video which is death for chromakeys you should look up Dave's Stock Answer #1 in this forum for details.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim HinesRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:58:03 pm

Thank you Dave. I guess that's at least something I can tell my client. Don't try to save money by shooting with an off the shelf HDV camera.

I'm actually glad to hear that answer as I am increasingly worried that I'm doing something wrong.

If you don't mind can I ask you if it is normal that a 9 sec comp containing a single solid with the fractal noise effect on it and 4-5 parameter tweeks should prevent me from a ram preview longer than 7 seconds at full quality? Same specs as above.

I'm not a basher just feel like something aint right. I have the render multiple frames box checked and have fiddled with the slider without much success. Anything stike you as off?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:25:39 am

hi jim,

if you hadn't looked up dave's stock answer #1, there are ather codecs that will cause ae to struggle. common ones are hdv, mpeg-2, mp3g-4 and h.264, but there are others. the problem with these codecs are the use intraframe compression (or temporal compression), so that's what to look out for. for ae to work well, you want to use interframe compression only.

as far as ram preview duration, if you frame size is 1920x1080, the each uncompressed frame is about 6mb. if it's 30fps, then 6mb x 30fps = 180mb/s. so, 7sec x 180mb/s = 1.260gb.

ae, being a 32-bit application, can only use about 3.5mb of ram (windows) or 3mb (osx) for foreground processes, so if the max ram cache is set to around 60% or so, that would leave around 1.2gb for the ram preview...

so, yep, 7 seconds of full 1080 is about right for ram previews... we'll have to wait until ae goes 64-bit to get respectible ram preview durations.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Hannes PaulssonRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:20:53 am

I can confirm that too, I have pretty much the same specs as you do intel i7 (at 2.67ghz, so a bit slower), and 12 gbs of ram, and i get about 7 secs too.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:03:06 pm

Now, you folks DO understand that there are ways to get a longer RAM Preview, right? We used 'em all the time in Days of Yore -- AE 3.1 on a Powermac with a single 266mHz processor and 512 MB memory, running Mac OS 8.6. And you think YOUR machines are slow.
  • Reduce the comp resolution to half, and screen size to 50%
  • Reduce how much of the comp you preview -- there's a switch for it on the bottom of the comp window. Draw a box around the area of interest, and AE only previews the contents of the box.
  • Preview every other frame.... I forget the keyboard shortcut for it.

They ALL have their uses. Experienced AE hands still use them. But if you're of the school that maintains, "I don't care about the computer -- I want everything in best quality in real time for as long as I want... so there!", I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:22:11 am

In addition to Dave's tips, here is a whole page of 'em:

"Improve performance"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jim HinesRe: 3.5 hours to render a 5 min. green screen key?
by on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:09:39 am

Thanks for that Todd and to Hannes Paulson also for confirming on the specs and of course Dave and Kevin Camp as well. BTW Todd I looked at those roto tuts. Pete O'Connel's Rotoscoping in AE was very enlightening.

You know what was really holding up my render? A preset for lightwraping I had learned to make at Maltannon's site. Once I took that off it rendered out fairly well. I mean from 3.5 hours to 39 minutes. And as it turned out even though I had captured HDV footage in Premiere I was exporting .mov files in the animation codec and importing it into AE. That's how I came to realize it was the preset. Since when I checked my files they weren't .mpeg

so...I'm a jackass. First for not correctly explaining the situation and also for not getting back sooner with the solution. However I've been knocked out with the flu and had to finish that job simultaneously. I really do appreciate all the help.

Still I've learned a lot working with this HDV stuff. For instance, I guess you have to export your movies at 1920x1080 square pixel to get them to look right when you bring 'em back to Premiere. Is that right or am I missing something again? I realize HDV is 1440x1080 1.33 but if you export at that aspect when you bring it back it doesn't look right. Unless of course I did something wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]