ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

comp window distorts (help needed)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Leecomp window distorts (help needed)
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:04:29 pm

Hey Guys, Im quite new to after affects so this maybe a really common problem but i have searched high and low accross the net to find a soloution.

Basically everytime I increase or decrease an effect parameter in after effects my comp window becomes highly distorted so that i cant see the effect the change is having on my comp unless i release the mouse.

Here is a link to my problem, the top image is before I alter the comp and the bottom two are while I scroll the effects incrementaly. as you can see it is impossible for me to see the effects of the change.

Hope you can help me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: comp window distorts (help needed)
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:41:28 pm

In order of significance, here's what I'd do:
  • Change that HDV footage to a different codec (explanation follows)
  • Turn off Open GL for Previewing... and for rendering, too.
  • Scrub to change property values and forget about the scroll wheel on the mouse

.....And here's that explanation:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: comp window distorts (help needed)
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:44:47 pm

When you are changing a property value, After Effects has to render the image with the result of the change. Sometimes, this takes a relatively long time. There are different preview modes that you can use to deal with this lag---each of which provides a different way of "keeping up". Adaptive resolution drops the resolution of the image while you are making your changes. Turning off Live Update, on the other hand, tells After Effects to not even bother trying to keep up with the changes while you are dragging. Hopefully, all will be clear whn you read the preview modes page.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved