ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D motion trackin without plugins?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdell
3D motion trackin without plugins?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:43:53 am

Here's my attempt:

Not so hot! In part, using video from my mobile phone wasn't a great idea, or something so badly lit, but it was a quick experiment! I locked a 3D layer to a 2D solid that was tracking the post-it notes on my desk, and it sorta works, but the scale doesn't adjust unfortunately. Any ideas? It doesn't have to be true 3D tracking, I just want to be able to fake it easily so I can have characters apparently standing on surfaces, etc.

Michael Lansdell

Online Editor,
Available Light Productions Ltd

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

http://www.monstersareart.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Simon Stutts
Re: 3D motion trackin without plugins?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:46:09 pm

Interesting experiment...

...but is there any reason you wouldn't want to just use an existing 3d tracking solution? This seems like it would be way more of a pain than using something actually built to do 3d motion tracking. If price is the barrier, PFHoe and PFTrack and pretty cheap and can yield good results. And Syntheyes is only like 400 bones.

Return to posts index

Michael Lansdell
Re: 3D motion trackin without plugins?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:05:29 pm

Just because I don't want to have to buy anything!
I'm not interested in putting 3D stuff from anything like Maya in, just flat illustrative stuff so it looks like it's stood on the desk, etc. This isn't for work, it's purely for my own amusement, so if I can avoid spending money then all the better. That said, I read about a piece of software called Icarus that's free but not available for commercial use at all, and if I'm going to learn how to use something then it would be nice to have the option to use it down the line for commercial stuff.
PFHoe looks interesting though, and it's pretty cheap, thank you! Ideally I'd like something that works within After Effects, but maybe that doesn't exist...

Michael Lansdell

Online Editor,
Available Light Productions Ltd

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

http://www.monstersareart.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]