ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dynamic link between two Ae projects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Månsson
Dynamic link between two Ae projects
on Sep 7, 2009 at 1:17:54 pm

Is it possible to import one Ae-project into another and have it dynamicly update when changes are made.

Eg: I want an "Assets" project, where all my assets are placed, I then want to import this comp into multiple other project. The problem is, when changes and additions are made to the "Assets"-project, it doesn't carry through to the projects that use the assets.

Is there any way to make this happen? It's a real hassle to replace a piece of animatied gfx 42 places i 4 different comps :)

Regards
Rune

Return to posts index

Rune Månsson
Re: Dynamic link between two Ae projects
on Sep 7, 2009 at 1:38:44 pm

Please be aware, that it's "updating dynamically between projects" and not between comps in the same project, that I'm referring.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 7, 2009 at 3:56:43 pm

> It's a real hassle to replace a piece of animatied gfx 42 places i 4 different comp

If you're just trying to update footage items (as opposed to adding/importing new ones), I'd think that you'd be able to accomplish what you want with this:

"To refresh footage items selected in the Project panel to use the current versions of the source footage files, choose File > Reload Footage."
(from "Refresh footage items")

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Rune Månsson
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:15:27 pm

I suppose that would be a solution, but for this project that's not gonna cut it. The assets that I'm creating are 3D compositions, used i multiple projects but from different angles. So it would be really nice to be able to import them as 3D comps, that would dynamically update when changed in the source project.

But maybe no such solution exists yet.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2009 at 3:28:04 pm

[Rune Månsson] "...The assets that I'm creating are 3D compositions, used in multiple projects but from different angles..."

Well, a composition really isn't an asset.

It certainly isn't for any application I know about, where a Quicktime movie or an aiff file are considered as assets. Assets are simply files. They're imported, and the software uses the files. If these files are updated or replaced, the software may or may not see the changes.

I can think of one way you can accomplish what you want: forget about all those multiple projects and create one absolutely huge project. Then, any changes you make to a comp that is used as footage in other comps are reflected in those other comps.

In AE's arcane language, they're called Nested Comps: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rune Månsson
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:53:45 am

Dave>> Thanks for your answer, but I think I should have been more clear in my question. We are a team of four people working on this project. And we can't all work in the same file at once. So the smart thing would be to split it up, but we don't want to recreate the 3D for the icons in every single Project every time the client makes a change, since there are litterly hundres of icons to keep track of. And I know what nested comps are ;) But thanks for you answer.

Phillipe >> I'll try it out :) Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:05:58 pm

[Rune Månsson] "We are a team of four people working on this project. And we can't all work in the same file at once. "

Here's the bad news: AE is not designed to accommodate teams working on the same project. You are certain to overwrite someone else's work. It's a sad fact of AE life. Such a feature may be built into future AE versions... but I certainly have NO special access to Adobe's plans. This is pure conjecture, and it's probably wrong. But the functionality you seek doesn't exist today.

To do what you want to do, you will have to enforce some very aggressive project file management, establishing hard and fast rules about project organization, who can modify a project and when, protocols for making duplicate files, etc. This is very risky at best, and a disaster at worst.

Probably the best thing you can do is to break this large project out into sections, with each person taking responsibility for a section, and only that person has authority to work on the project file associated with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rune Månsson
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:50:44 pm

Thank you again for you response :) That is excatly the way we're doing it now. Strict and stern rules about this and that. But man, would it be nice to have dynamic projects, so every body could relaxe a little :) We've tride the disaster senario once before... not a pretty sight. Well, we can only hope that Adobe will implement such a feature sometime in the future. Thanks again for you replies, now I don't have to test my sanity searching google.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jun 7, 2013 at 7:16:44 pm

Old thread, I know.

But this is what you need:

http://aeprojectsync.com

Return to posts index

Philippe Lessard
on Sep 8, 2009 at 6:45:44 pm

There a way to do (sort of) this but i didtn recommend it because you need to keep the same name for different asset.You'll have to duplicate the project you want to switch is asset.First, regroup all of the asset you want to overwrite in the project in a folder(in and out AE), then do the same with the asset you want to use(it work even if the asset are in 3d comp as long as they are the same size...etc)you'll probaly have to move the original folder outside(just to make them offline) otherwise AE will find it and use it, so just rename your folder then use the copy of the project you just make then reconnect the now offline asset with the asset you want in.One project for each new bunch of assets.If you have a project that have hundred of assets you want to change quickly, that the way.

Return to posts index

Chrissy Gonsalves
on Feb 4, 2016 at 2:01:31 pm

Has anyone figured out how to do this? I am working on a project with my co-worker and need his sections to update as he is editing. I imported his AE project into my AE project but it wont update his changes.

PLEASE HELP

Return to posts index

Upasana Nattoji
on Dec 30, 2016 at 6:50:35 am

hi - did you find a solution? I find myself in the same situation.

Return to posts index

Greg Hunsmezian
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:11:28 am

I am attempting to get around this issue by doing the project assembly in Premiere Pro. by dynamically linking the VFX shots my team mates are working on.
So far I have to say that the linked projects are very choppy in playback... but that may be just a server vs. video file size issue...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]