ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

making people VANISH

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Hernandezmaking people VANISH
by on Sep 7, 2009 at 3:57:58 am

I'm working on a christian film and need to know how to make people vanish. More important; to make them vanish and leave their clothes behind. The ULTIMATE effect I'm looking for is for someone to vanish that has a hip or knee implant. As they vanish, the implant falls to the ground. Would work really well with breast implants!!!! Ha! Could use all the help I could get. Currently using AECS3. Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Hannes PaulssonRe: making people VANISH
by on Sep 7, 2009 at 11:55:22 am

This isn't a very easy thing to do.
On the top of my head, one way to do this is to first shoot your actor in its place, and then use a set of strings to hang the persons clothes from strings, maybe in front of a greenscreen, and let go of all the strings at the same time. Using the last frame from the video with the actor/actress as a reference to place the clothes in the same place and way as the actor/actress clothes.
And then try to blend these clips and cut from the one with the actor to the one with the clothes falling.
And of course remove all the strings.

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: making people VANISH
by on Sep 7, 2009 at 3:46:37 pm

One thing you could add to the instructions above would be a light or particle burst right when the clothes falling occurs, that way it would mask the transition between the two and hopefully hide the certain differences between them.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: making people VANISH
by on Sep 13, 2009 at 6:17:26 pm

I would add to this that you'd also want to fade one set into the other even w/ the particles. As in an opacity 100% -> 0% fade on one and vice versa on the other, would smooth the transition out.

If you don't want to do it that way, another possibility is to go in and mask out all the people (flesh) and leave only the clothes. This will most likely be time consuming, but if you just want the bodies to fade away and no particle burst to cover the transition I believe that should work.

As for the clothes falling, you still might have to resort to the first suggestion - chroma keying some falling clothing held by strings. The only advantage to this method would be not having the particle burst.

An alternative would be to use a 3d program (Maya? Blender[free] ? ) and apply the cloth plugin to it... both equally time consuming.

Good luck to ya..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved