ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Doubling Frame Rate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael WeigandDoubling Frame Rate
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:40:40 pm

HI!

So I am trying to double the frame count of my footage in After Effects.

Now I know that there are plug-ins like twixtor and Retimer and Kronos and Furnace.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT BUYING A PLUG IN?

Thanks a lot!!!!

HD-Encoding: QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Doubling Frame Rate
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:09:25 pm

[Michael Weigand] "S THERE ANY WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT BUYING A PLUG IN?"

yes. there are a few ways. i'm assuming that you want to keep the timing the same, just increase the frame rate (taking 29.97 fps footage and making it 59.94, for example)

first, is your footage interlaced? if so then it is quite easy. say the footage is 29.97 fps (interlaced). select the footage in the project window and choose file>interpret footage>main. make sure that ae is correctly separating fields (sd ntsc is usually lower, 1080i is always upper) and check the options for preserve edges and hit ok.

drag the footage onto the make comp icon, then choose composition>comp settings and change the double the frame rate (if it was 29.97, then change it to 59.94). ram preview and you'll see your footage at double the frame rate.

if the footage is not interlaced, you can drag the footage onto the make comp icon, modify the comp settings to make it double the frame rate, same as above. but this time choose layer>frame blending>pixel motion and enable frame blending for previews (the icon in the timeline that looks like overlapping film frames). then do a ram preview... ae will generate new frames in between the real frames based on the pixel movement between frames. some time this is good enough, other times it won't be.

if it's not good enough, then you can drag the footage onto the new comp icon, use the comp setting to double the length of the comp, but leave the frame rate the same. then add timewarp. set interpolation to pixel motion and speed to 50 (this will make it half speed slo-mo, but we'll fix that later). now you can use the tuning settings to adjust how the new frames are interpolated. you can also add some motion blur within the plugin settings if needed. you'll also need to extend the length of the footage layer, to do this choose layer>time>time remapping. don't change the keyframes for the time remap property, but drag the outpoint of the layer to the end of the comp.

now you can bring that comp into a new comp that is double the frame rate, but half the duration/length. apply time stretch (layer>time>time stretch) and set ti to 50. this will make the footage maintain the same timing (speed), but have double the frame rate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael WeigandRe: Doubling Frame Rate
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:17:37 pm

Agk! I typed frame rate!

I meant frame count. Basically I want to increase the frame count of my footage without buying a plugin.
I want to double the amount of frames. So that I can convert 23.976p to 59.94i

I already do have the fieldskit deinterlacer if that helps.

I apologise for the miscomm. your explanation of increasing FPS rate was very succinct and totally appreciated.

Thanks!

HD-Encoding: QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Doubling Frame Rate
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:41:54 pm

normally to get 23.976 to 59.94, you'd just add a pulldown (also called telecine conversion). it's the way that films get brought up to broadcast frame rates.

to do this in after effects, you just need to drag the footage onto the make comp icon. leave the frame rate and everything alone. then add it to the rendre queue. click the render settings (usually says 'best settings') and set the filed render settings to the appropriate field order (normally lower for sd, upper for 1080) and then choose a pulldown cadence (like 'swwws'). you should notice that the frame will also change to 29.97 (which, since it is interlaced is 59.94i).

this technique does give a mix of whole frames and interlaced frames, but it is the standard for conversion of 24p material.

if you really needed each frame to be interlaced, you could try bringing the 24p footage into a 29.97 comp, then choosing layer>frame blending>pixel motion. then add to the render queue, click the render settings and choose field render (choose appropriate field order) and render that. that will give you 59.94i where each frame is interlaced.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

corbin thomasRe: Doubling Frame Rate
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:48:24 pm

if the source footage is 30fps animation. to get to 59.94 is the same conversion technique appropriate? same pulldown?

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]