ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird AE Behavior

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bark
Weird AE Behavior
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:34:11 pm

I'm teaching myself AE with the "AE Apprentice" book. I'm playing with text using Animators and Range Selectors and decided to try something on my own without looking at the book to gauge whether or not I was actually learning anything.

I created a new 3 second comp, typed some text and applied a ramp up opacity animation (animating just the offest.) My RAM preview was absurdly slow and as soon as it got to 42.06 in the 3 second timeline, it went back to the beginning. Tried a new comp and a simple animate position to move the text from one side of the screen to the other. Same thing! Comp settings seem to match the files that came with the book, which all preview pretty quick and with no problems. So I'm at a loss here.

I just quit and restarted AE, created a new comp and it still stops previewing at 42.06. I could use some help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Weird AE Behavior
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:41:19 pm

[David Bark] "...as soon as it got to 42.06 in the 3 second timeline, it went back to the beginning..."

Sorry, I'm not following you. From the above, it looks like you're saying, "...as soon as it got to 42 seconds and 6 frames in the 3 second timeline, it went back to the beginning..."

That's absurd, but I don't know what else it could mean. Care to clarify?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Bark
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:56:00 pm

OK...I'm an idiot. It was a 3 minute timeline! Sorry.

I still wonder why, when text or a solid spans the 3 minute timeline it stops previewing at 42 seconds? Sure, I can't ever imagine the need to animate something that simple over such a long period of time, but what if I did? Is there a "stop previewing at 42 seconds" in the prefs that I should know about?

By the way, when I created the REAL 3 second comp, everything's good! Then I went back and created another 3 minute comp - this time on purpose - and animating a solid from one corner to the next over one-minute still stopped previewing after 42 seconds.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:04:45 pm

Aha. You're doing a RAM Preview, no doubt. AE uses all the RAM available to it to create the preview, and your previews apparently max out at 42 seconds.

Now, here's another reading assignment for you: the Previewing section from AE's online help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

...and if I were you, I'd forget about using that "Standard Preview" Adobe mentions. For just about any AE comp of moderate complexity, it's pretty much worthless.

If you set the size of the Work Area in your AE comp, you can preview any section of the comp you want... and in your case, that section can be up to 42 seconds in duration. Here's how:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

That oughta keep you busy for a while.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hannes Paulsson
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:09:48 pm

And just to clarify, this does not mean that you are not able to make projects longer than 42 seconds, it just means that you can only preview 42 seconds at a time.

If you want to see your whole project in realtime, you can always render it out to a file.

And by the way, this 42 seconds is not something fixed, if you use a smaller comp your RAM preview will be longer, and if you use a bigger comp it will be shorter. And the time it takes to render the RAM preview depends on what kind of animation and which effects you use.

To get a longer preview, you can change your resolution to a lower setting.

But I guess this is all in the link that Dave LaRonde provided, so this post is probably quite unnecessary. :)

Return to posts index

David Bark
on Sep 7, 2009 at 5:24:32 pm

But appreciated, nonetheless. Thank you both!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]