ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jumpy Playback on Encore burned DVD from AE footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david payne
Jumpy Playback on Encore burned DVD from AE footage
on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:33:43 am

Hi All,

I've followed an encore authoring guide from videocopilot and have a major problem. I have rendered out an animation with HDV video in the background. I have exported using the MPEG2-DVD preset with progressive fields. When importing into encore lower fields is the only option. When I author and burn the DVD, the footage is jumping/skipping in the background (every second or so)

I have followed the guide to the finest detail and no one seems to be having this problem but me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

david payne
Re: Jumpy Playback on Encore burned DVD from AE footage
on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:46:25 pm

also, I have burned the dvd in encore using the source footage (without AE getting involved in the process) and it plays back fine, so it must be something I do in after effects...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 4, 2009 at 3:58:06 pm

[david payne] "...it must be something I do in after effects... "

Nope, it's AE itself! How 'bout that?

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 6, 2009 at 9:20:25 pm

by "something I do in after effects" I meant it was at that stage that the issue occured.

Ok I'm ashamed as you have given me that stock answer with something in the past. Could you advise what type of file format I need to convert to in order for it to not freak out?

I wonder why the guy in the guide didnt have this issue as he was importing straight from HDV m2t...

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 7, 2009 at 8:05:00 am

i should also mention that the footage was only HDV right at the beginning of the chain. I imported HD m2t into premiere and outputted as HD mpeg. Then frameserved this HD mpeg down to a DVD compliant 720x576 PAL mtv and wav, which is the file I imported into AE.

I then outputted as MPEG2-DVD which I see mentioned in your list above so perhaps that is what I need to change to fix this. I will give this a go now.

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 7, 2009 at 9:14:41 am

exported as AVI from premiere and now works perfectly.
thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]