ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fastest Green Screen Rendering Quad Core

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bondaygee
Fastest Green Screen Rendering Quad Core
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:03:06 pm

Hi there,

I got a quadcore (AMD 9950), XP. I'm looking to increase my render times for green screen footage.

Presently, with a basic video background it takes about 20 minutes. with a stationary background about 14 minutes.

I'm doing HD 1140 by 1080 with the WMV files( which I like) on their highest settings.

In particular, should I be trying to do this with the XP 64 bit OS or does it matter very much. Also, is it much faster with all four processors working together. Presently I don't really enough RAM. So I need more. It appears that my video card doesn't support the Keylight plugin because AFX CS3 crashed during rendering.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fastest Green Screen Rendering Quad Core
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:23:32 pm

[James Bondaygee] "Presently, with a basic video background it takes about 20 minutes. with a stationary background about 14 minutes. "

And what's wrong with THAT? Rendering in AE ain't exactly instantaneous, y'know. You're almost rendering at real-time speeds.

Besides, if you want more RAM to better use multiprocessing, you'd want to get Win7... and AE isn't approved for use on Win7.

[James Bondaygee] "It appears that my video card doesn't support the Keylight plugin because AFX CS3 crashed during rendering. "

Nope -- AE doesn't support Open GL properly, that's what. Before the guys at Adobe render, they make sure Open GL is turned off for rendering... so what do you think YOU should do?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:30:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I realize rendering is fundamentally a slow process, especially as more things get computed.

Is the multiprocessing thing not much of a time saver? I only have 2 gigs of ram in this computer right now, so i'm not using that option presently.

Rock on!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:37:52 pm

Multiprocessing can save a good deal of time, but the catch is that you need 2GB per core on a windows box to take best advantage of it. Since Most Windows boxes running under XP and (I think) Vista are limited to 4GB, multiprocessing usually isn't the hands-down choice.

Now, I'm basically a Mac guy, okay? But it seems to me you could trick out your box with RAM, set up AE multiprocessing to use 1-1.5 GB, close any open applications and see what happens....

...but as I said, rendering 14 minutes of HD video in 20 minutes isn't too shabby.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:19:07 am

If your looking for faster renders... the best cheapest gain would be moving up to at least 3Gigs of RAM (2,4 or 6 Gig RAM is preferred for most mobo's) .... Second (but definately not the cheapest), you could go with is a Adaptec Raid card setup using e-sata 15k rpm Fujitsu Drives. At least one set of dual HD/stripe raid for your disk cache and another set of dual HD's/stripe setup for your operating system/software application. That set up will be a 4 drive (i.e., 2 striped raid) setup. You could repeat this set up for each disk cache drive setup you want to use...(see the Media and Disk cache setup preferences).

Multi-processors are a step up in speed (specially with 64bit OS)... but, typically the biggest bottleneck is the Hard Drive (and, the HD's search time for long renders).

Return to posts index

Hannes Paulsson
on Sep 4, 2009 at 12:30:24 pm

I'm using win7, a dual quad core (inte i7) and 12 gbs of ram, and it works fine!

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
Re: Fastest Green Screen Rendering/Windows 7 Question
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:00:05 pm

That's very interesting about windows 7. I recall them even saying they "compatibility modes" as well if necessary.

Just out of curiosity, how long would take to render a minute of greenscreen footage on your computer?

thanks

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:08:27 pm

Also....are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I'm not sure if After Effects works with a 64 bit version or does it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:14:12 pm

Y'know, Adobe maintains an After Effects User Forum on its web site. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the subject of Win7 has been discussed in great detail there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]