ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

25p to 50p upconvert... Again

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Icenhour25p to 50p upconvert... Again
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:08:17 am

Hi all,

I posted a part of this question a while back and managed to run into another snag. I am still stuck with using 25p 3D tga sequential files in my project. Everything is fine with up converting my 2D work done in AE and replacing the 25p source material with 50p source material, but now the 3D tga files are still coming jittery play back. Is there a way for to up convert these files with AE and maintain proper play back?

Any and all help I could get would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: 25p to 50p upconvert... Again
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:27:55 am

I think what's happening here is that you're 25P footage updates half as often as your 50P. It's half the framerate, so that's why it's stuttering.

If you can't render the 3D sequence out again at 50P, and you really need your final comp to be 50P, then you're going to have to get After Effects to make up those intermediate frames.

Here's one way to do it:

i) Use Time > Time Stretch on your TGA sequence layer, and set it to 50%. This will make your 25P footage play back at twice the speed. But if you step through, it's only playing each frame once. This is good.
ii) Precomp the layer.
iii) Use Time Warp, Twixtor or your favourite time remapping plugin that uses pixel motion, to stretch the layer back out. If using time warp, set your Speed to 50%.

This will stretch the layer back out again, and the timewarp plugin will fill in the missing frames. Note that this is no way as good as rendering back out your 3D at 50fps. It will get you out of a jam.

Hope that helps,

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved