ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

VERY slow AF performance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerrit VoorenVERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:58:07 am

We're running CS4 on a Mac Book Pro 2.4GHZ intel core 2 duo. It has 2 gigs or RAM.
We're just animating a psd, but RAM previews, rendering, working with basic effects etc is so slow, it's impossible to work with. We're dealing with this all the time and need help solving this dilemma! We're working on great projects but are constantly getting bugged down by the slow performance of AF...

HELP!

Thanks much,

Gerrit Vooren

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:23:42 am

How big are you PSD files? Are you consistently scaling them down well below 100% without ever needing to go near 100%?

After Effects uses the entire frame of a clip, even if it can only see one pixel of it in the comp. This can quickly bog down a system if you work with hi-res images.

If this is the case, scale your stills down in Photoshop prior to bringing them into AE. If that's not, then give us a few more details of the project.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

Hannes PaulssonRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:37:51 am

Have you enabled "multiprocessing" in your preferences? If so, DISABLE it. When using a computer with less than 4gbs of ram, this setting can often slow down after effects considerably.

Return to posts index

Gerrit VoorenRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:14:07 pm

Thanks much, will try that for sure.
Getting another 2 gigs or RAM would help too I guess?
Any other suggestions to make my machine run AF faster?

Return to posts index

Hannes PaulssonRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:52:45 pm

Well, the first thing is just that, buy more RAM. And a processor with more cores. I use a Intel i7 with 8 threads and 12gbs of ram, and since I bought that AE is runnig much much faster.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:35:13 pm

[Gerrit Vooren] "We're running CS4 on a Mac Book Pro 2.4GHZ intel core 2 duo. It has 2 gigs or RAM... We're working on great projects but are constantly getting bugged down by the slow performance of AF... "

I don't think it's entirely AE's fault. I think a few things are conspiring against you.

First, since the term "great projects" doesn't give us many clues about the complexity of your AE comps. You could have big photoshop documents as Ben said, you could be working in 3D, you could be using multiple lights, you could have motion blur enabled, or you could be using certain effects that are real render hogs... any of which will slow down renders. So it could be your project.

Second, a laptop isn't exactly a hospitable environment for a render-intensive application like AE. And the laptop you describe isn't very speedy in today's terms. As mentioned, memory will help, and on a Mac, AE can utilize up to 3.5 GB per core, and you need to keep the gigibyte count at an even number... so for two cores, you'd want 8 GB total. However, if you can move the project off the laptop and onto a proper Macintosh with lots of processors, lots of memory and lots of storage, you will be much, much happier. If you're stuck using a laptop, you may simply have to endure longer renders.

Finally, you may not have a lot of experience with AE, so you may simply have to learn the lesson we all learn over time: NOTHING happens instantaneously in After Effects. You have to wait. Depending on our circumstances, some of us wait longer than others.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gerrit VoorenRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:51:32 pm

Thanks so much Dave for your extensive e-mail.
We're renting a top of the line G5 for a week, I think that's the way to go. Dual intel processor, 16GB or Ram, that should do it.
; )

Have a great Holiday!

best,

Gerrit Vooren
Director
917.566.3046(cell)
718.802.1108(studio)
gerrit@reels4artists.com

corporate:
http://www.reels4artists.com/r4avideo.html

non-profit:
http://www.reels4artists.com/nonprofit.html

artists:
http://www.myspace.com/reels4artists

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: VERY slow AF performance
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:42:16 pm

[Gerrit Vooren] "We're renting a top of the line G5 for a week, I think that's the way to go"

You'd be better off renting an 8-core Mac Pro with 16-24GB memory. It should have Intel processors in it. And it goes without saying -- lots of storage is good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]