ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wiggle frame-to-frame from Flash?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris coleWiggle frame-to-frame from Flash?
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:07:23 pm

Hi, I need help with a complex AE workflow question. Despite the fact that I've been researching it for about two days, I have a feeling that the answer might be quite simple for someone better versed in AE.

1) PROJECT DESCRIPTION: I'm creating black and white "squiggle" hand-drawn, frame by frame animations for a client. I use a Wacom Cintiq and I can create these in either ToonBoom or Flash. Due to the nature of the project, there is little to no tweening involved.

2) THE CHALLENGE: Normally, in these programs, I have to draw each frame and trace it twice to obtain the "squiggle" effect. However, After FX now has pretty advanced wiggle capabilities, which can help me to mimic the effect, and thus eliminate 2/3 of my drawing time. The problem is that I can't figure out the easiest/proper work flow.

- If I were to draw the characters in AfterFX, using Vector Paint, I can easily obtain the effect, but AE is not the ideal program for frame by frame animation.

- If I were to draw the characters in AE using paint, I'm having trouble getting access to the wiggle effect. How would I use an expression to obtain this?

-If I were to create the complete animation in Flash or Toonboom, could I import an HD quicktime version and autotrace and then apply the wiggle effect? Seems like I should be able to do that since it is all black and white. Alternatively, is there a way to import as a vector animation and skip the autotrace?

I'm a bit tight on time on this project, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd really, really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved