ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ram preview rendering strange problem.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill ConradRam preview rendering strange problem.
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:10:50 pm

Hello, first off, I'm new here. First forum.
Anyhow, i've been dabbling in Adobe After Effects CS3 for around 8 months now and I've ran into a problem.

(Sorry if this is the wrong area for this question)

Anyhow, out of the blue a few days ago and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I haven't changed any settings or anything.

Anyhow, when I try to do a RAM preview, it only plays one frame. If I hit the Play/Pause button continuously, it will render into the buffer (I can scrub through the area) but when I hit the Ram preview play button it just jumps to the last frame then back again to the start point.

I've never had this issue before, and don't know why it's happening.

On a side note, I'm using windows Vista, but AE has worked fine till a few days ago. Any help would be much appreciated.

(I've even tried re-installing AE, and have the exact same problem)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram preview rendering strange problem.
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:20:37 pm

It could be that you're tying to use Open GL for rendering. Don't. Even the guys at Adobe don't use Open GL for rendering, which gives you an indication of how well it works.

Or it could be the footage you've imported into AE......

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bill ConradRe: Ram preview rendering strange problem.
by on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:36:05 pm

No, that's not it. Thanks for the try though. And, that wouldn't explain the sudden change from working for months and months to not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved