ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using OpenGL in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus PaintonUsing OpenGL in AE
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:57:41 am

I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB videocard, along with 4GB of DDR3 RAM. I am needing the best performance out of my laptop so that AE will render as quickly and smoothly as possible. Which are the optimal settings for OpenGL and other RAM settings inside AE, and does anyone have insight into the actual Nvidia program's settings so that my laptop will reach maximum performance with the given hardware specs. I think that by making some changes to the videocard settings, along with AE's settings will provide better performance out of the machine, rather than simply running on the default settings.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Marcus P.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using OpenGL in AE -- Don't use it
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:24:52 pm

This topic has been covered time and time again. I'm surprised you didn't uncover 80 Gazillion posts on the topic when you search for it.... oh, wait, you didn't DO as search? Hmmmm.....

Well, here's the short version -- Open GL is okay for Ram Previewing -- it might help make previews faster.

However, Open GL will do absolutely NOTHING to speed up renders. Not a stinkin' thing. Forget that Open GL exists for rendering. Is that clear enough? DON'T USE IT!

Adobe's Open GL implementation may improve in future versions of AE, but right now it's nothing more than a cruel joke. Get used to that fact and move on.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Using OpenGL in AE -- Don't use it
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:47:31 pm

I have OpenGL acceleration turned on for previews, with the Fast Previews setting set to OpenGL - Interactive. That is very useful, since it makes dragging things around much snappier but also uses the more reliable CPU renderer when I'm not actively changing property values.

But I certainly don't use OpenGL for rendering for final output.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved