ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hexagonal Camera Blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus PaintonHexagonal Camera Blur
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:29:45 am

I was attempting to recreate the hexagonal blur that is seen in films, where there appears to be the pattern of hexagons in the rack focuses, without actually doing it in the camera. I was hoping to shoot all shots in-focus, simply to give more freedom in post. Is there a way to recreate the "look" of the hexagon-patterned blur through a plugin that I have overlooked, or is there one that I should install from a third-party? Also, which would be the most efficient way to apply these blurs to the portions of the frame that are desired to be out-of-focus?
Thank you for your help,
Marcus P.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Hexagonal Camera Blur
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:36:41 pm

[Marcus Painton] "I was hoping to shoot all shots in-focus, simply to give more freedom in post. Is there a way to recreate the "look" of the hexagon-patterned blur through a plugin that I have overlooked, or is there one that I should install from a third-party? Also, which would be the most efficient way to apply these blurs to the portions of the frame that are desired to be out-of-focus? "

You are trying to fake depth of field. You are hoping to impose the pattern of your iris blades as a film camera would see spectral highlights. You need to understand the family of filters known as Compound Effects that apply their filter setting based on grayscale input.

You can look up depth of field and rack focus filters and explore camera and lens blur filters from several third party suppliers. Beware, these are hacks and flat simulations that are not 3D-aware. The look is interesting but it's not real. The rendering can be painfully slow and tweaking the settings may require lots of experimentation.

Thinking you could do this in post without knowing how you were going to do it was a bad, very bad, idea. It will cost you three to ten times the time and money than to simply allow your photographer to use his camera's lens to its fullest capabilities and to allow your lighting designer to go nuts.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Alan ParmaRe: Hexagonal Camera Blur
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:52:32 am

+1 on david's reply about planning and faking DOF.

but if you're still doing it, take a look at the Lens Blur effect that comes with After Effects. Andrew Kramer has a tutorial on faking DOF using this plugin in his website videocopilot.net

hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]