ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Finding missing frames in a sequence.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Waldemar WerbelFinding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:40:48 pm

Hi all.

I was asked an interesting question by a friend earlier today. He's importing a .tga sequence rendered in a 3D app - on import there are 2 frames missing from the sequence. Normally this isn't a big deal as most sequences tend to be a couple of hundred frames long and a quick scrub through shows up the identifying place-holders. His sequence is thousands of frames rather than hundreds...

Is there a script available that will scan the contents of the directory where the sequence resides and give you a heads up where the sequence breaks? Or maybe there's an even simpler method that's eluded me?

So far I've suggested that he opens up the directory and goes into 'list' view and re-sizes the window to wrap the bottom of a column on a file which is a multiple of 10 - scanning along the last file of each column should reveal a missing frame pretty soon (ie where the number of the frame changes to 0049/0059/0069 etc - the missing frame will be in that first column) It's still a bit of a faff, though - a script to do the work for you would be an excellent tool to have at your disposal, don't you think?

As ever, thanks for any help anyone can offer.

w.werbel. uk.

Return to posts index

Peter O'ConnellRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:25:07 am

Hi, using a scripting language would do the trick for this kind of thing. The python code below, for example, makes a list of all the files in the given directory and sees if the padded number of each subsequent file is 1 more that the previous (given a padding of 4, eg."078_080_comp_v09.0001.tga"). I can't post this code to the cow as text because of the way the cow handles white spaces, unfortunately, but here is a screen grab. Hope this helps.

Rogue Keyframe
Feature Film Compositing

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:11:07 am

the above script would do the trick for missing files.

This solution would find ones that were created, but not rendered to (null/empty files).. (although the python script could VERY easily be modified to handle this at the same time and be a lot faster - unfortunately I can't help there, been too long :( )

go into "details view" in your file browsing system (wether youre on windows or mac, they both have their equivalents - sry im not a mac guy anymore dont remember what its called).

and then arrange by size lowest to highest

the crappy frames that were incorectly rendered or are blank will be at the top (if they did get rendered - usually the file DOES get created, but nothings in it so it'll have a really small filesize).

Best I can do, hope it helps out!

Return to posts index

Waldemar WerbelRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 9:36:57 am

Thanks guys - both excellent suggestions! Looking forward to trying that script.

w.werbel. uk.

Return to posts index

Markus MustermannRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Apr 2, 2011 at 1:18:27 pm

a friend of mine wrote me a batch script for windows that identifies missing files (frames) in sequence and prints the frame numbers in a txt file.
it's ideal for long sequences - however it only checks if the files exist - so broken files will not be reported.

here ist the script: (copy paste in text document and rename missing.BAT)
this script checkes the folder: c:\folder0\"folder number one"\
for missing files named: FileName[#####].png
@echo off

set startframe=3383
set endframe=6425
set leading=0000
set folder=c:\folder0\"folder number one"\
set filename=FileName
set filetype=.png

set ZAEHLER=%startframe%
set neuerChunk=0

if "%ZAEHLER%"=="%startframe%" echo MISSING %filetype% FILES in %folder% - start:%startframe% end:%endframe% list:>> missing_frames.txt
if "%ZAEHLER%"=="%endframe%" goto end
set z=%leading%%ZAEHLER%
set z=%z:~-5%

if not exist %folder%%filename%%z%%filetype% (
if "%neuerChunk%"=="1" (
echo ##### >> missing_frames.txt
set neuerChunk=0
echo %z% >> missing_frames.txt
) ELSE (
set neuerChunk=1
set /a ZAEHLER = %ZAEHLER% + 1
goto start

echo end of list >> missing_frames.txt

echo check missing_frames.txt

Return to posts index

Frederick RossRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence.
by on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:58:31 pm

I wrote a blog post about how to do this here:

Return to posts index

David MackenzieRe: Finding missing frames in a sequence. (Davinci Resolve works)
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:47:36 am

A very easy way is Davinci Resolve. In the Source Media screen, simply drag the folder containing the broken image sequence down into the Media Pool.

An intact sequence will appear as one item. But if there are breaks detected, Resolve will create several clips in the pool, and the names will let you find where the breaks are.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved