ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Giant Sheet Falling from the Sky

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William turbyfillGiant Sheet Falling from the Sky
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:32:02 pm

I want to do a shot of a football size sheet falling from the sky that would be at most 3-4 seconds long. My plan is to film against a green screen at a high frame rate and then composite it slowed down. Any tips or thoughts on hurdles I might encounter?

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Giant Sheet Falling from the Sky
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 7:08:32 pm

unless that sheet your filming is huge, you risk the patterning\grain of the sheet looking un naturally large when composited on such a huge field. Obviously the lighting is critical as well. I would do it all CG myself. But if you have the right gear and large enough sheet, proper angles etc you should be ok.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Giant Sheet Falling from the Sky
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:13:41 am

3 or 4 seconds is not very long to show an overcranked shot but that makes the task far easier. How fast will your camera hoot? You'll want at least 60fp, 90 would be better because you can always speed it back up to fit.

You'll want to shoot silk or fine polyester. You'll want some fans to create the billowing effect.
The rig I'm seeing in my head has the four corners guyed out with fish line so you have some control.

It will always look like a simulation so be prepared for that sytlistically. We've been shooting miniatures and trying to make them look big for bout 100 years

This is an effect I'd hire a 3d artist to do for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved