ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

simulating close up of monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johannes Schwarzsimulating close up of monitor
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 3:05:17 pm

I'm trying to create a clip where I need to emulate a camera close up of a web page with a text box that is being typed in plus some surroundings so one can see somewhat clear pixels (in the end result in fact there will be fast paced cuts to many text boxes receiving text from different angles).

What I did (because it seemed easiest):
1) Screen capture the typing of text into a text box on a website (different takes)
2) import into After Effects and place it in the comp
3) make the layer 3D
4) slant it, the way I want it
And here comes the very obvious problem: As I scale the image to fit the comp, AE smoothes out the edges, since this is a video and not some vector. Is there anything I can do the video to retain the sharpness of the pixel edges?

...or is this a lost cause, since there is no effect or plugin, that could help. Should I tehn simulate text box and typing in AE creating a sufficiently large precomp, which I then manipulate (angle, slant etc...) in the comp?

Plus: Anyone know a good mosaic effect, that lets you determine the space between the tiles?

Thanks a bunch,

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: simulating close up of monitor
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 7:20:04 pm

i would not do a capture because keeping it sharp would be near impossible. Use the text on a path tool to type on the message you want at a much larger size. You can reveal your text letter by letter with that plug.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

william legarretaRe: simulating close up of monitor
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:52:05 pm

I agree with the previous post, I've always made it a point with my projects- if there is text involved-to just type it out and animate it in AE within its own comp- youll have zero pixel issues. You can easily create a text box using solids and drop shadows and such.

Return to posts index

Johannes SchwarzRe: simulating close up of monitor
by on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:54:41 pm

Thanks guys.

I ended up using my screen captures for now, since I did these versions only for youtube and that was the quickest, albeit admittedly the dirtiest way to do it. Here are the results (warning: it's catholic in content)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved