ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gunnar KordestaniNull Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:20:37 am

hi there,

I am using a null object with "Separate XYZ Position" to move my camera in 3d space. Apparently there is no real position keyframes anywhere and so it seems you cannot smooth the path the cam is following using bezier handles of any position keyframes.

Is that limitation of the method or am I limited myself to see the solution?

thx for any eye-opening

Return to posts index

gunnar KordestaniRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:37:07 am

is there a solution which I don't see in the "Graph Editor" maybe? As far as I know for now u can only edit speed behavior between keyframes here. Or is there a way to get to what I am looking for (getting smooth curves between my position keyframes instead of gooing only straight)?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:31:07 am

Hmmm, I'm not sure if you're asking about Spatial or Temporal keyframes but I'll give it a shot.

The Graph Editor only shows you Temporal Keyframes. The graph you see there pertains only to speed. To make a curved path (Spatial Keyframe), you'll have to do it in the Comp Panel.

IF you're using CS4, you don't need Null Layers to control a camera as CS4 allows for seperate XYZ graphs for the position property.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 3:39:17 pm

Select your camera, set your composition view to "Top" (or any orthogonal view - top, bottom, right, left, etc.), hit "G" to activate the pen tool, and hover over a camera position keyframe. Your cursor will become an upside-down "V" icon. Click on a keyframe and drag out a bezier handle and manipulate your animation curve as needed:

-E

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 10:19:46 pm

I think what the original poster is experiencing is just that the "Separate XYZ" preset doesn't generate a visible motion path, because the keyframes are added to expression control effects instead of position.
CS4 lets you separate XYZ position into discrete properties without using the old preset. And you do get a motion path for the separated XYZ keyframes. You're going to find out -though- that once you separate dimensions, you loose free bezier handles - because if you move a handle freely, then that keyframe can't possibly be separate (since the handles would define a behavior in all dimensions). You can separate dimensions for the camera or a Null (or any other layer type, of course).

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

gunnar KordestaniRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 6:24:03 am

hi,

I think what the original poster is experiencing is just that the "Separate XYZ" preset doesn't generate a visible motion path, because the keyframes are added to expression control effects instead of position.

exactly that was my point
CS4 lets you separate XYZ position into discrete properties without using the old preset.

how would you do that?
whats a "discrete propertiy"
And you do get a motion path for the separated XYZ keyframes. You're going to find out -though- that once you separate dimensions, you loose free bezier handles - because if you move a handle freely, then that keyframe can't possibly be separate (since the handles would define a behavior in all dimensions). You can separate dimensions for the camera ...

really? When adding the "Seperate xyz" to a camera the expression is added and then i an expression error is claimed (due to the not existing effect "seperate xyz")
or a Null (or any other layer type, of course).

hm ... but it makes nothing better if you could apply it to a camera directly (just one layer less) if you cannot use handles for the mentioned motion path *which I am not able to find by the way).

I resume from what I understood so far: "Seperate xyz position to move a camera and having a smooth bezier motion path for it to follow does not go together"

Or is there any other way which was not mentioned yet?

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: Null Object to move camera > beziercurves ?
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 6:43:30 am

[gunnar Kordestani] "how would you do that?
whats a "discrete propertiy""

It means you get position X, position Y and position Z as separate properties in the timeline.
You do it by selecting the position property and then pressing the Separate Dimension button in the graph editor, or by going to Animation > Separate Dimensions.

[gunnar Kordestani] "really? When adding the "Seperate xyz" to a camera the expression is added and then i an expression error is claimed (due to the not existing effect "seperate xyz")"

I meant the new separate dimensions feature in CS4, not the Separate XYZ animation preset, which is a legacy workaround.

[gunnar Kordestani] "I resume from what I understood so far: "Seperate xyz position to move a camera and having a smooth bezier motion path for it to follow does not go together"

Or is there any other way which was not mentioned yet?"

Yes, you can adjust bezier handles for each position property in the Value Graph, in the Graph Editor. If you had bezier handles for the motion path in the Comp panel, then position X,Y and Z wouldn't be independent from each other.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]