ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Quick and dirty AE to Blu-ray solution?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg NeumayerQuick and dirty AE to Blu-ray solution?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:20:20 pm

My client wants their 1080p 4 minute graphics loop I'm creating in AE for a trade show plasma screen. They've asked for it delivered on Blu-ray. I'm usually delivering digital files (like most of us) so I'm not set up with hardware or software for this (Mac Pro). Is there a quick and dirty solution to get my AE (quicktime) movie thrown onto a Blu-ray that they can play? I just need an auto-start, auto-loop disk.

From what I can gather, it looks like I need to buy Encore ($700) and a burner ($200-400) if I want to chew this out myself. This is a bit dangerous given our tight deadline (couple weeks). Are there other software options? I hate buying something I'm likely not going to use very often on such a simple project (not even any audio!). Where is "Apple iBlu-Ray"?

Is there a better way? What about another display format? Is there something else I can suggest to them besides Blu-ray, or is that the best solution for something like a trade-show loop?

Thanks for your input. I've read lots of various threads on Encore and such, so I'm looking for some insight on whether or not I have any other (mac) options.

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Erik WaluskaRe: Quick and dirty AE to Blu-ray solution?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:20:57 pm

Hey Greg,
I make looping plasma DVDs all the time and I just make regular standard-def discs in Encore (I'm sure iDVD would probably work) and they work great and the image quality is very good if you use high-quality mpeg compression settings.

Sure, Blu-Ray would look a little better up close, but unless the razor sharp images in the plasma are the focus of your client's presentation then I would try to steer them toward using regular DVDs.

If they still want to go with Blu-Ray then, since you don't expect to have much call for this format in your work, maybe just see if you can pay someone to burn your project to disc and be done with it. I image any up-to-date production house should be able to do this for you. There are probably services on the internet for this as well. It would surely be cheaper and easier than buying all of the software/hardware yourself and having to learn how to use it.

Return to posts index

Mitch LewisRe: Quick and dirty AE to Blu-ray solution?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:03:02 pm

If you haven't heard, there are some simple (cheap) solutions.

Toast 10 ($99 plus $20 blu-ray plug-in)

Believe it or not, you can use Toast 10, your normal DVD burner and a normal DVD-R disc to burn blu-ray discs. The only negatives with this technique is that you can only store about 30 minutes worth of HD footage on a DVD-R disc, and there have been compatibility problems with the DVD-R discs not being recognized on some blu-ray players. You'd want to do some basic testing before you commit to this as a permanent solution.

I've been using this workflow for a while now and it's worked out great. My only issues have been with compatibility. Most Sony blu-ray players will play the discs, but Samsung and Pioneer players wont. The one Denon player I tested played the disc without issue. I haven't done extensive testing as we own a LG blu-ray burner which solves the compatibility issue.

Sony EX3, Letus Ultimate, Nikon lenses, Sachtler tripod
20 years as a videographer/editor - HD and 35mm adaptor newbie
Experienced with Apple products, Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite, MOTU Digital Performer, Flip4Mac, etc...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved