ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

exporting animated character from Maya to Invigorator (AE)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Del Rio
exporting animated character from Maya to Invigorator (AE)
on Aug 28, 2009 at 9:58:25 pm

Hello:
I've been trying to import an animated character from Maya to Invigorator. Every time that I try this, the character looses all the textures applied in Maya, it appears with only one plane color (gray). The other problem that I have , is that it doesn't move. All the animation made in Maya is lost when I export it to Invigorator in After Effects. I will really appreciate any help.
Thank you for your time,
Martin

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: exporting animated character from Maya to Invigorator (AE)
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:32:33 pm

Hi Martin,
Invigorator will not import your materials or animation from Maya. It's just not that sophisticated.

If you're trying to bring an animated and textured 3D character into After Effects for compositing then you'll have to render the character out of Maya as a movie. I believe that you can export your camera data from Maya and use it to control your After Effects camera so that your scenes match up and it will appear that the 3D character is in the After Effects scene in 3D, although it is actually a flat movie.

Check Maya's help and search the web for information on how to do this. I searched "Maya to After Effects" in Google and came up with a bunch of links. Here's an old tutorial link from Creative Cow:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/delafuente_rene/maya_cam_imp.php

-E

Return to posts index

Martin Del Rio
Re: exporting animated character from Maya to Invigorator (AE)
on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:20:17 am

Hi Erik:

Thank you very much for your help. I'll check those tutorials.

Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]