ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert PaynterMpeg2 HD PLEASE!
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:05:26 pm

I have to output an mpeg2 file for a media player. The specs say it accepts 720p and MPEG2 or MPEG1 only. When I try to output an mpeg2 at anything other than 720x480 it does not work. Does AE not have this capability? Is it possible with an MPG 2 at all? Please Help

Return to posts index

Frank RuggieroRe: Mpeg2 HD PLEASE!
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:12:42 pm

I am not sure about After Effects, but perhaps trying Quicktime pro (with the Mpeg-2 encoder) or possibly Compressor would yield better results?

If all is at a loss, I bet Bit Vice could do it. I am not sure of your deadlines or budget, but it might be worth looking into it....

Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Frank RuggieroRe: Mpeg2 HD PLEASE!
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:16:21 pm

Yeah, I just looked through Compressor. It definitely can do HD. Try it if you have it on your system...

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Mpeg2 HD PLEASE!
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 3:09:07 pm

Mpeg2 is does not support frame sizes other than standard-def. If you are using After Effects CS3 or higher with the production premium bundle (encore, premiere, etc.) then you will have Mpeg2 blu-ray output settings available in After Effects output module, which supports HD output settings. That is the setting you need to use for 720p output.

First, be sure your comp is set to 720p:

When you add your comp to the render queue select the Mpeg2 Blu-Ray output module preset:

Now open your output module settings and the format should be set to MPEG2 Blu-ray. Click on the "Format Options..." button to open up the blu-ray output settings:

Now set the Frame Dimensions to the 1280x720 preset and your done (except for rendering, of course):

I would leave all of the other blu-ray settings alone, including the quality slider because the default settings will give you the most compatible file possible and the quality is very good. I use the 1080p blu-ray setting all the time for our Leitch video server for broadcast and it works flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved