ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicating frames. Is this possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rudy ShalamarDuplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:07:15 pm

I have an image sequence (stop animation style) that comes out to a total of 1 second at 30 fps.

I want to get that up to 4 seconds at 30fps so i think my best bet is to duplicate each frame 3 more times.

Is there a way to duplicate frames in AE or should I take it back out to photoshop and create a script.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mitch LewisRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:34:46 pm

Two choices

1) If you truely want to duplicate frames, you can simply use "Time Stretch" to set the length you want. AE will add the appropriate duplicate frames to make the clip the correct length. (it will make your footage look like it's playing in slow motion.....sort of)

2) If you use the Time Warp effect, you can achieve the same thing, except that AE will actually create new in-between frames to make the slow motion effect look much smoother. This is what I would recommend. Only problem is that it takes a while to render.

---------------------------
Sony EX3, Letus Ultimate, Nikon lenses, Sachtler tripod
20 years as a videographer/editor - HD and 35mm adaptor newbie
Experienced with Apple products, Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite, MOTU Digital Performer, Flip4Mac, etc...

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:26:32 pm

[Rudy Shalamar] "(stop animation style)"

Extending your stop action animation by a factor of 400% will alter—or completely destroy—the illusion of animation; all of the physics will be wrong and the movements will become coarsely gross or grossly coarse.
For me, the only obvious solution is to reshoot the animation now that you know what you need and should have designed the first time.

Mitch's suggestion to let AE interpolate the pixels to create tween frames is interesting but the results are totally unpredictable because optical flow depends on analyzing pixel vectors. Much like progressive scanning codecs, there are no easily discerned vectors with still images.

But please return and let us know how you extended your animation sequence. The advice cold come in handy for future inquiries and I'd like to know more about the visual aspect of your project.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:36:32 pm

Since it's a stop-motion sequence, I'll stay away from Time warp. Time Stretch without Pixel Motion or Frame Bleding will be better. But me thinks your best bet is to simply interpret the sequence at 7.5 fps and drop the footage into your regular comp.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Rudy ShalamarRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:18:09 pm

OK, so do you mean render out an AVI at 7.5 and drop it into a 30fps comp?

Or do you mean drop a 7.5 fps comp inside a 30 fps comp?

I feel like neither way will work. My head is spinning from trying to solve the math here.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:06:09 pm

I would use neither.
Just use time stretch and enter the new duration. Or use time remapping.
Or open the manual and look up how to properly use either option.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Duplicating frames. Is this possible?
by on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:38:17 am

Interpret the sequence as 7.5fps. Do you know how to interpret footage once it's in your project panel? Once you've interpreted the sequence at 7.5fps, just drop it into your regular comp (29.97fps).

I never mentioned rendering out and I never mentioned a 7.5fps comp -where did you get these ideas from? Sorry if I sound twitchy but you seem to be making things more difficult than they are and it actually takes you only 2-3 minutes to test out each method.

Another option is to use the Posterize Time effect on your 30fps clip by setting a value of 7.5fps in Posterize Time. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to try out the different options laid out by the kind folks here.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]