ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

getting smooth dissolves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Graves
getting smooth dissolves
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:55:10 am

Simple question. I want to cross dissolve between two almost identical, mostly white layers. A title is fading on. Yet, in linear mode, when i opacity from 100 to 0 on one layer and from 0 to 100 on the other layer, I am getting a dip in density, i.e. the white fades down a little bit during the dissolve. The keyframes are in linear. Fixed areas are specified as hold frames.

If I pull the bezier handles to get a logarithmic curve, it more or less smooths out the dissolve. Still, that shouldn't be necessary! Why is this simple operation of a cross dissolve a pain in the neck and what am I doing wrong?

thank you very much

John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: getting smooth dissolves
on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:14:11 am

That's because AE doesn't do a simple addition of the opacity values. Try changing your background color to a bright red and you should see part of it. The trick is to ensure that at least one layer is at 100% opacity, then dissolve on the other layer over this.

HTH
RoRK

broadcastGEMs - AEPro Volume 02 (Professional Adobe After Effects Project Files - Now Available).

Adobe After Effects Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Aug 28, 2009 at 12:56:42 pm

[John Graves] "Still, that shouldn't be necessary! Why is this simple operation of a cross dissolve a pain in the neck and what am I doing wrong?"

It's a common issue with AE newbies. If you do as Rholand suggests and add a layer under your white layers, you will see the bottom layer become visible during that's because at the middle of the dissolve, both layers are at about 50% opacity. That doesn't add up to 100%, it means you can see through both.

To perform a dissolve in AE, you need to think of it as a change in opacity on the upper most layer from 0-100 or 100-0%. That will either reveal or completely obscure the underlying layers.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:01:18 pm

Just pre-compose the two layers you are cross-fading and set the blending mode on the top layer to "Alpha Add". In the pre-comp you will still see the dip, but in the main comp where this cross-fading comp is nested the cross-fade will appear correctly with no dip.

-E

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]