ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What the hell is after effects' problem?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike robertsWhat the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:10:07 am

So, I'm just going to rant and rave here. Not only does After Effects, as well as everything else CS4 crash EVERY time you quit, After Effects is STILL crashing when I scrub audio. STILL! This has been happening since AE 7, maybe even 6. Do they EVER bother fixing bugs? Or just stuffing the new features in so you have to buy the upgrade? Don't get me wrong, I love the new functionality of CS4, but SERIOUSLY, it feels like a pirated beta that's missing files. It's A MESS.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:55:17 am

Have you updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)?

That update fixed some crashing bugs, including some crashes on quit.

BTW, ranting isn't quite as effective some other things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Mike robertsRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:33:40 am

I'm fully updated. But yes, I know ranting isn't the best way to handle it, but so far, submitting bugs, and opening support tickets at adobe isn't helping either. I've re-installed CS4 twice now. 9.0.2 didn't fix any of my crashes.

Pretty much every forum I've found on the crash on quit problem has hundreds of people left with no solution and lots of people saying they fixed theirs with various means. I'm going to try dowsing rods next.

Maybe a clean install of snow leopard and then migration might help. But the thought of reactivating all my plugins makes my head hurt.

Can't is just work? This type of nonsense is why i stopped using a PC! Us self employed dudes can't have a full time IT dept.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:37:59 am

If you've contacted Adobe technical support and not gotten a solution, I can help to escalate your issues. (No, I can't promise to fix your problem---as that is far from being my job---but I can pass a case number along and say "Hey! Answer this guy!")

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:43:30 am

Thanks Todd,

I'd really appreciate that. The audio scrub = freeze (then force quit) has been happening since I've been using after effects... That's across about 6 systems, with 15 installations of After effects of different generations.

The crash on quit happens on every CS4 product. My VISA card was an early adopter of CS4... so i've been through all the updates so far.

How do i get in contact, on your blog page?

Return to posts index

Adolfo RozenfeldRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:03:40 am

The crash on quit for all CS4 applications is not really a crash. It's a very rare case in which the Adobe Crash Reporter thinks the application crashed. For AE, this problem was fixed in 9.02. All cases I've seen are from people who had prerelease versions of CS4 applications in their machine. Again, at least for AE it should be fixed in 9.02.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:13:58 am

Hmm... what's pre-release..? Like a Beta release? Ya, I wish I had that kind of time to beta test. It's hard enough to meet my deadlines as it is without editing someone else's homework. I was running CS3 until i bought CS4 in may. I've been looking around and have found lots of people still having this problem. I can't speak for them having "pre-release" software. Does CS3 count as pre-release CS4?? haha.

But that doesn't explain my audio scrubbing lock up... I'd love to know if there's a button that would fix that. Happens with Open GL, no open GL, mondays, even on Tuesdays!

So if you've never seen a crash on quit with 9.0.2 can I send it to you the next time I get it?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:33:23 am

So if you've never seen a crash on quit with 9.0.2 can I send it to you the next time I get it?

Please by all means do so. In fact, I do read a bunch of the crash reports sent by users. Please include contact info and configuration details in the next one.

I never said that I never saw a crash on quit on 9.02. Just that the behavior in which all CS4 application report a crash on exit is related to a rare problem with the Crash Reporter itself, and that I personally only heard from cases related to prerelease software. Evidently, it seems that may not be always the case. If the app shows the same workspace you had before the crash the next time you launch it, that would point to the problem I mentioned. If it doesn't, then it would be a sign it crashed, indeed.

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:43:13 am

Thanks for that... I'll check next time it happens.

Any ideas about that audio scrub beef?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:50:19 am

You mean the app crashes when control/command dragging the Current Time Indicator?
I personally have not seen it. Please do send a bug report with full configuration details (AE version, OS version, CPU, RAM, graphics and audio hardware/drivers, etc).

Adolfo Rozenfeld · Adobe

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:22:43 am

I can just "verify" the bugs reported here, given to me they are more of the erratic / random nature. Things got much worse for me when moving from AE7 to CS3 / CS4 on an Intel machine.

1. Random lock-ups during audio scrubbing
2. After Effects crashes on quit (sometimes has resulted in a wipe of the pref-file which is a bit of a nuisance)
3. Crashes when sorting files in my project window (i.e dragging / dropping them in folders, renaming and so forth).
4. Crashes during final renders. This was corrected after consulting your support (trashing preferences did the trick oddly enough).

However all these bugs where as I can remember them new since we moved to our Intel MacPro with CS3 or later. I do tend to file a report if a crash happens and the utility pops up in my face.

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication
------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:32:39 am

> How do i get in contact, on your blog page?

If you send me the case number for the instance in which Adobe Technical Support did not adequately serve you, I can send that along through the escalation path. My email address is kopriva at adobe dot com.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2009 at 10:09:15 pm

Hey, just an update... so far, the Snow Leopard update has solved my CS4 crash on quit problem! So basically, since I posted my rant, I haven't used CS4, then I updated to snow leopard, and i haven't had a crash to report. That rules.

BUT, not sure about that audio scrub crash. Problem is, when it crashes, it freezes with no obvious crash report, and it doesn't give me a crash save... Where do I find a crash log if the system freezes and forces a quit?

Anyway, don't know if anyone else has had luck with the snow leopard update equaling crash-on-quit fix, but that's where I'm at!

And thanks for all your help guys!

Return to posts index

Dester WallabooRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:23:07 pm

Nope.... the persistent, never-ending audio scrub bug STILL exists and is as bad as ever. I've worked this on numerous machines and they ALL have the same problem.

Return to posts index

Pryce DuncalfRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:57:17 am

It is nearly a year since these posts. I am still having the audio scrubbing problem. Anyone else?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:20:18 pm

> It is nearly a year since these posts.

In that time, we have release two major updates to fix various bugs:

After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update

After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update

If you're still having problems after installing the updates, let us know by filing a bug report.

Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What the hell is after effects' problem?
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:41:33 pm

[Pryce Duncalf] "It is nearly a year since these posts. I am still having the audio scrubbing problem."

This thread may be a year old, but not once did I read any mention of the footage. It's well-documented that compressed audio simply doesn't work well in AE. It's also known that it isn't wise to use long-gop footage in AE 9.

Thus, I must assume everyone in the thread is well-aware of these issues and hasn't used such footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:57:10 pm

I am currently scrubbing wav files and it crashes quite often. Do you know what would be the best format to use for audio scrubbing? P,

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:02:46 pm

As alluded to, the nature of any VIDEO footage in your comp could also give you problems. Since you're in this thread, you must run AE 9 and not AE 10, so the following applies:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:10:43 pm

I generally work in tiffs and targas with the occasional .mov, but it this instance, it definitely seems to be the wav that is the problem as it crashes even if I isolate it with a solid. I will try a different format and let you know how it goes. Many thanks. P.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:14:46 am

Okay. I Have the fully updated CS4, I have been converting my wav files as '.movs' as 'AAC Stereo' compression, isolated the audio into its own composition, on its own, and it still crashes (sorry, not sure if that is the correct term. It freezes and you have to force quit.).

As previously mentioned in the thread, not much has changed over the many years of after effects. This has also happened on other computers on different versions of AE I have used at various different companies and I have sent bug reports. Any more suggestions? Is anyone else still having this problem?

Many thanks. Pryce.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 3:49:30 pm

[Pryce Duncalf] "Is anyone else still having this problem? "

I, for one, am not -- not on my Windows machine at home running AE 9, not on my Mac Pro at work running AE 8, and I haven't seen it on my buddy's machine that runs AE 10. Furthermore, I have never, EVER had any kind of audio problems in After Effects. Not even once.

I think you have a more fundamental problem than After Effects behaving badly. I think you have fundamental installation problems, or a virus, or something like that. I would NOT lay this at After Effects' doorstep.

I think you should completely uninstall all your applications following the prescribed uninstallation procedure for the software, I think you should re-format your drives -- and you NEED two, one for system and applications, one for user files -- and I think you should reinstall the OS and all your applications.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 4:22:30 pm

Okay, I will try a reinstall. But I think it is a bit harsh to ignore that there is a problem. I only just decided to investigate this issue yesterday and found that many others in this thread have also had the same problem, I joined in to find out if there was a conclusion to the problem. It seems not. I have sent about 10 bug reports today. Thanks for trying to help. P.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 4:59:15 pm

Does anyone other than Dave LaRonde have a less patronising solution to the problem? Todd Kopriva? I have multiple macs in my studio, all of which have experienced this problem in the past, all with not only 2 drives, but 3, one for apps and one for projects and one for timemachine (mac). I am sure it is not a virus as it is a new machine, I have simply moved the licence over. Just to clarify, I am NOT laying this on Adobes doorstep, I am merely asking for help. Many thanks. Pryce.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:52:01 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/928715#943245

problem solved. P.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:58:26 pm

[Pryce Duncalf] "ave multiple macs in my studio, all of which have experienced this problem in the past, all with not only 2 drives, but 3, one for apps and one for projects and one for timemachine (mac)."

....which leads me to believe that as you received upgrades to the OS, you didn't do a clean install. You just installed the new OS over the old one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:08:54 pm

Its okay dave, I found the solution on a different thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/928715#943245

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]